Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Col Harold Marshall (1870-1918)

David Earley

I am just starting researching Lt Col Harold Marshall who died at his home in Dorset, from the effects of gas poisoning on 10 September 1918.

At the start of the war he was a volunteer with the 7th Battalion Hampshire Regiment with whom he was sent to India, reaching the rank of Captain.

In 1916, he joined the London Regiment becoming Commanding Officer of the 1/15th Battalion with the acting rank of Major from 15/02/1917 to 06/07/1917.

During his time with the London Regiment he received the Military Cross, which was gazetted on 1 January 1918 (although the Gazette refers to him as a Capt. (A /Maj.) in the Hampshire Regiment).

In early 1918, he transferred to the Royal Welsh Fusiliers and took command of the 1/4th Battalion (with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel) from 20/06/1918 to 10/09/1918 (his death).

Can someone point me to the war diaries for the London Regiment and the Royal Welsh Fusiliers covering the period when he was with them? What I would like to find out is what he did to earn the MC and details of the incident when he was first gassed (reported as the Spring of 1918 in an obituary published in the Bournemouth Guardian on 21 September 1918).

I am visiting The National Archives shortly, so will be able to look at his file at WO 374/46245.

As always, any help would be gratefully appreciated.

David

Edited by David Earley

Hello David, 

1/15th Battalion London Regiment WD, a bargain at £3.50, or wait til you get to TNA and download for free. 

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7354554

4th Battalion RWF, also £3.50

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7354544

If he was Gazetted in January 18 for his MC, then highly likely it is a King's New Honour, so no citation and likely for cumulative valuable service rather than a specific gallant event. 

Regards 

Andy 

Edited by HolymoleyRE

Thanks, Andy for the quick & helpful reply.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, there was little of interest in WO 374/46245 although the war diaries do contain some relevant information. (Unfortunately, the scanned copies for both diaries have several pages out of sequence, which makes reading them a challenge!)

I have two further queries:

The entry below in the London Gazette says that, with effect from 9 July 1917 he was to revert to the rank of Major (acting) "while employed on Hd.-Qrs,"  Would the HQ have been in France/Flanders or back in the UK?

360033930_1917-09-12LG.png.5c8dc1949c183d36d0b183a39f07447b.png

His next relevant entry in the London Gazette was that, with effect from 12 February 1918 he regained the rank of Lt.Col. whilst commanding a battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. (Gazetted 23 May 1918)

The obituary says that in 1918 "whilst acting as C.O. of his battalion he was mentioned in despatches and offered either a D.S.O. or promotion." Is there any way of verifying this claim, or any part of it?

Thanks .

David

Edited by David Earley