Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Advise on direction of further research please.

TullochArd

I recently came across a soldier missing from the CWGC Database whilst browsing some defunct Church records.  He was one of two brothers, from the same unit, both killed on 1st July 1916. The stalwarts of the IFTC Project have confirmed my suspicions using Pension Records and have kindly taken his case forward.  I now think I’m on the trail of another forgotten soldier but I have less substance to go on. All I have is (1) my failure to find a CWGC Record, (2) a notice in the local paper dated 18th August 1917ASHWORTH - In loving memory of our dear son Pte. Wilfred Ashworth of 18 Hobson Street, Rawtenstall, who fell in action 31st July 1917” and (3) an inscription on the Rawtenstall Municipal War Memorial “Pte Wilfred Ashworth,  July 31. 1917.” At this point I think the only way forward is to collect all the W/Wilfred Ashworth regimental numbers from MICs and then eliminate those with a CWGC Record hopefully leaving me with a single W/Wilfred Ashworth who may be my man.  However ....... before I start I would like to ask ....... might there be an easier way?  Regards and thanks.

He is on "Soldiers effects" on Ancestry with correct date of death and gives his number 203232 -and  father

John - in E Lancs Reg

Edited by corisande

Evening corsande.  Brilliant ......... and the bonus is there is now no need to put my golf clubs in light care and preservation! I shall shortly open an Ancestry account and follow up on your informative lead.  Regards and thanks.

Edited by TullochArd

And a pension card on Fold 3, which does not add much , but gives address and Mather Annie

Sorry I am doing this off my iPad at the moment which is not much good for deep research

once a thread gets a few responses it attracts people to look at it an one will probably now be able to add more

No CWGC Record for 203232 so it looks as though he is an IFTC Candidate.  Regards and thanks.

And there is a mic but that does not even record his death

Soldiers Effects establishes that he was Kia, as does the pension card

from those you get his parents names and address. You can then get the family in 1911 census

Edited by corisande

Medal Roll (ancestry) has 8 East Lancs but nothing else. I can't find anything similar in SDGW.

Edited by rolt968

15 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Good find TullochArd,

No service or pension record on Ancestry.

Indeed. 

Good Evening

Try Geoffs Search Engine; Date, Regiment., then filter out all the casualties from the particular battalion you are looking for on that date or dates.

Regards

Andy

7 hours ago, andrew pugh said:

Good Evening

Try Geoffs Search Engine; Date, Regiment., then filter out all the casualties from the particular battalion you are looking for on that date or dates.

Regards

Andy

Sounded a good lead so I gave it a whirl.  It seems Geoff's Search Engine is no more and I was, rather bizarrely, repeatedly bounced to UK Petition "Revoke Article 50 and Remain in the EU" site from the search page. Tried on a different device and got the same result.  Just followed up a few old GWF posts that suggest the site was replaced by a new CWGC Database at some point.  Regardless, many thanks Andy - looks like the group effort has nailed this one!    

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who helped out on this one.  IFTC agree we have a case and this will submitted to CWGC for their kind consideration.  I'll keep you posted.