Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frank Richards (Old Soldiers Never Die & Old Soldier Sahib)

Derek Black

My dad was an 18-year-old Home Guard in Swansea, 1943/44. His unit was asked to defend a local geographic feature against an attack by a regular unit as part of a training exercise.

According to my dad, the regulars were in amongst them before the Home Guard lads had woken up! 

Bernard

3 hours ago, Bernard_Lewis said:

My dad was an 18-year-old Home Guard in Swansea, 1943/44. His unit was asked to defend a local geographic feature against an attack by a regular unit as part of a training exercise.

According to my dad, the regulars were in amongst them before the Home Guard lads had woken up! 

Bernard

I hope he didn't have a West Ham scarf and was called Pike???

1 hour ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

I hope he didn't have a West Ham scarf and was called Pike???

IIRC Wasn’t it an Aston Villa scarf?

Ian Lavender was born in Birmingham and brought the scarf along on his own initiative.

Having provided that useless piece of trivia I’ll get me coat......

Steve

44 minutes ago, tullybrone said:

IIRC Wasn’t it an Aston Villa scarf?

Fair point.

Claret & blue anyway.

Or Burnley.

Only  read the first few sections however all the places mentioned with the HG are known to me well. Pontypridd drill hall I know inside out. I also know Brecon Barracks inside out and aware what room Frank had a "discussion" with the recruitment Sgt. 

Many times stepped in his footsteps and never knew.

• 9 months later...

Pardon my coming in very late to this thread. What edition or version of Old Soldiers Never Die is the most complete. See different publishing houses online. Muerrisch may I ask what publishing house printed yours? Or the ISBN. etc.

2 hours ago, Felix C said:

Pardon my coming in very late to this thread. What edition or version of Old Soldiers Never Die is the most complete. See different publishing houses online. Muerrisch may I ask what publishing house printed yours? Or the ISBN. etc.

Self published. Mine is the only one with Index, Maps, Footnotes, Appendices and relevant photos, dozens of them. Companion volume Old Soldier Sahib in same format.

14 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

Self published. Mine is the only one with Index, Maps, Footnotes, Appendices and relevant photos, dozens of them. Companion volume Old Soldier Sahib in same format.

And the best available - superb produced books.

9 minutes ago, squirrel said:

And the best available - superb produced books.

I would engage you as my agent but, with only a tiny stock left they sell themselves, about four a year. I only sell them as a pair now, be glad to see the end of them [except those autographed by Frank's daughter ........]

Hello Mr. Langley, I read the thread and found your name.

Where would I find the book online? Website? etc. I mean to see format, prices, delivery charge to USA, how to pay, etc.etc.

New Google format is truly frustrating when doing key word search. Could not find any combo of your name and the book except here and a Great War Assoc. result I believe. I gave up searching due to all the flotsam type returns on Google.  

Thanks

FC

Edited by Felix C

Apologizes if I broke the thread and/or forum rules, formal and otherwise, by asking. 

On 06/04/2019 at 09:05, Muerrisch said:

Frank Richards DCM MM: his early years, and the genesis of Old Soldier Sahib

My article in Stand To! issue Number  73 began:

On 11th June 1883 Mary Ann Woodruff informed the Registrar of New­port, Mon., of the birth of a boy, Francis Philip, on 7th April at Upper Ma­chen Farm, Machen, Mon. She gave her maiden name as Richards, and the father's name as Francis Au­gustus Woodruff, occupation Colliery Pro­prietor.

Since last year improved aids in tracing genealogy have become ava

• 3 months later...