Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3 Rinf TMB 1/5 (Australian)

rolt968

This question relates to Pte. William John Robertson, 1435 (formerly N46114).

He was killed in 1918 serving with 33 Battalion Australian Infantry. Some confusion seem to have arisen among his friends and relatives, because they expected him to be serving with a trench mortar battery and were not sure if he was the same man.

He arrived in England with 3 Rinf (a number of variations on this) TMB 1/5 (There are variations on the abbreviation), but was then allocated to 33 Infantry Battalion.

I have been interpreting 3 Rinf TMB, as 3rd Reinforcement(s), Trench Mortar Battery.

Is this right?

"1/5" also appears a "1.5" and "1 to 5" and in one case at least is used instead of 3 in front of TMB.

Moe of a guess than anything else: Does this mean that the reinforcements were for TMBs 1 to 5? 

RM

Edited by rolt968

Hi

1435 Pte W Robertson was in the 3rd Reinforcements for the Light Trench Mortar Batteries & left Sydney 25Oct16. The 1-5 you mention is just the way the records have summarised & recorded the departure of the 1st to 5th groups of reinforcements for the LTMB that left on 5 ships in late 1916.

He was reassigned to the 33rd Battalion soon after arrival in the UK and all his time in France was with that unit. I am surprised that he kept his LTMB regimental number as there were often duplicate numbers when men were transferred & the new person ended up with the suffix A.

Rgds   Greg

53 minutes ago, augmauns said:

Hi

1435 Pte W Robertson was in the 3rd Reinforcements for the Light Trench Mortar Batteries & left Sydney 25Oct16. The 1-5 you mention is just the way the records have summarised & recorded the departure of the 1st to 5th groups of reinforcements for the LTMB that left on 5 ships in late 1916.

He was reassigned to the 33rd Battalion soon after arrival in the UK and all his time in France was with that unit. I am surprised that he kept his LTMB regimental number as there were often duplicate numbers when men were transferred & the new person ended up with the suffix A.

Rgds   Greg

Many thanks, Greg,

I am still trying to sort out the confusion caused by his friends and relatives still believing that he was in a LTMB. He was gassed on 18 April 1918 and there seems to have been some confusion then.

RM

HI

Yes I thought that strange. He was transferred to 33 Bn in Feb17 and I would have thought any mail to friends & family after that he would have had that as his return address otherwise he would not have got any mail.

Greg