Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bagneux Brtish Cemetery, Gezaincourt

temptage

Has anybody visited this Cemetery recently? Im planning on visiting at the end of May, but looking on the CWGC website, it states:

"Please note there is a 250m path leading up to this cemetery which is only to be used for foot passengers. Visitors should leave their vehicle at the entrance of the path."

I have seen photographs of vehicles parked up at the entrance to the Cemetery, but they are from about 10 years ago.

Is the 'track' still driveable, or is it welly time?

we will be there in a fortnight as its a regular local for us. Once turning off the main road from Doullens its down through  the local village turning back up the hill over the old railway crossing then out into the countryside. at the top of the hill there is a farm, this forks right and driving along the top gives a view over cemetery but it is a farm track and used by farmers ,no pull in area.the junction where it forks is fairly wide probably for farm vehicles to manoeuvre. the lane to the cemetery forks right, it is a rough track, we always drive down, there are bushes that line both sides into undergrowth. no room to pull over or park.

after winding down the lane , trying to drive on the high spots you come to an opening. there is room and clear area to park. on the right is the old railway line tracks and a small orchard. We have heard some activity there but never seen anyone, the tree cuttings and old plants are dumped outside the cemetery. The cemetery can be reached either by walking down the bank and along the bottom and in through the official opening where the tablet and register are kept otherwise walk on up on the short grass and you can enter through the hedge. the cemetery overlooks the valley. there is room and a flat area to park and turn around. in all honesty we have never seen anyone else there.

there are places to park before the fork and farm yard but its single roadway and will have to park on grass, likewise , you can drive to the cemetery but slowly and dodge the ruts keeping to high spots.

A short tale.. we were picking some sloe berries for gin  near the car , a nice sunny day......it started raining on us. no clouds about .....

view from end looking back down access road. cemetery behind bushes on right. where you see the two white posts in distance is where you cross the rail tracks and can just see access road disappearing through trees around half distance between posts.

we were parked towards end of track and where it turns left there is parking and turning area.

train track.JPG

Edited by chaz

to get to cemetery main entrance means passing through bushes and down a grassy sloping pathway (slippery when wet) this gets to main entrance. second pic flatter surface and can access cemetery at very top of hedge right hand side

bagnaux gate guard.JPG

bagnaux tracks.JPG

Edited by chaz

Thanks Chaz, but you realise you may have just inadvertantly helped me out in another way.

Bagneux is on my list to visit, BUT it does take me out of the way from all my other Cemeteries on my list. It would certainly help my route, and potentially the underside of my car if I could give it a miss completely. Last year I nearly tore my exhaust off driving down the muddy rutted lane to Roeux British Cemetery.

Would you be able to get me just one photo of a headstone when you next visit please?

No probs, it's just down the road and as can be seen stormm likes walking around the lane and outside. I think someone else wanted one. Will check. We should be over end of April to 5th May. Post name etc. Might already have it.

Excellent Chas. There are many benefits to having a dog lol

V. C. 36 - Clarke, Harold Burkes - Lincolnshire Regiment

I dont recall seeing anyone else asking for Bagneux, but I know Peter Bennett has one at Gezaincourt Communal Cemetery Extension and also at Doullens Communal Cemetery Extensions 1 and 2