Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Could this be the same man?

ljb

I would welcome opinions if you think this could be the same man, firstly in Boer War uniform and secondly WW1. 

I think the WW1 soldier is West Somerset Yeomanry.

I posted the Boer War photo some years ago but have still not identified him.

Unknown Boer War.jpg

possibly West Som Yeomanry.jpg

Unidentified possible West Somerset Yeomanry.jpg

Yes, I do believe so, the facial features seem very similar.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you, however it doesn't help as one supposedly from Lancashire and the other presumably West Country!

Not sure if I posted on correct board - could I move it if necessary?

29 minutes ago, ljb said:

Thank you, however it doesn't help as one supposedly from Lancashire and the other presumably West Country!

Not sure if I posted on correct board - could I move it if necessary?

You can post it in the ‘Soldiers’ section if you know his name.  It depends what you seek.

Don't get too hung up on the different regions, the number of men who served in units ostensibly from widely different geographic areas was huge.  This was especially so after military conscription was introduced, rendering the difference between regular, war-raised and Territorial units to a degree irrelevant.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Yep, I think this is the same man.

Chris

If you have  his name can find a WW1 medal card for him, then cross check the campaign medals for Boer was medals and confirm unit.

The faces look similar indeed, allowing for the passage of time and aging.  However the face is of a "type" and lacks a good distinguishing feature.  If only it were two pirates, with an eye-patch or a hook to clarify things!

It seems odd that he doesn’t wear QSA or KSA in the later photo, which suggests that he probably didn’t deploy to SA.  Not all auxiliary soldiers did, but it didn’t stop them wearing the style of regimental dress that evolved from that conflict and that can sometimes lead to an individual’s service being misconstrued.  As david murdoch has suggested, a name will likely make all the difference.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Yes if I had a name I wouldn't have all these problems!

Thanks all for your suggestions. Shiver me timbers BullerTurner, that would make it too easy!

Dai Bach - my mother was told the soldier with slouch hat/plume was my paternal grandfather (from Lancashire) however he was born in 1888 so would have been too young to serve in the Boer War, also comparing his photo to this one proves he looks nothing like him. 

I have my grandfather's WW1 service records and MIC. He was William Nuttall from Shuttleworth, Lancs and served in Royal Welch Fusiliers, 6th Dragoon Guards and Royal Warwickshire Regiment. I have been told that he is wearing the cap badge of 3rd Dragoon Guards as he was in 3rd Reserve Regiment of Cavalry.

Unknown Boer War.jpg

WILLIAM NUTTALL.jpg

1 hour ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

I don't think the newest image is of the same man.

Seconded.

The Yeomanry image shows home service uniform. Coloured facings weren't worn in the South African campaign. The slouch hat continued in use at home among Volunteer units well into the 20th century soit is possible this is him in about 1906-8.

Thank you wainfleet. Would you have any idea of the possible colour of the facing? Would his tunic have been khaki or maybe blue?

Interesting that it may have been taken around 1906-8, the search continues!

On 05/04/2019 at 17:07, ljb said:

Thank you wainfleet. Would you have any idea of the possible colour of the facing? Would his tunic have been khaki or maybe blue?

Interesting that it may have been taken around 1906-8, the search continues!

Jacket probably but not definitely khaki. Can't help with the facing colour. Not too good on Home Service IY, sorry!