Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Does anyone recognise this hospital?

lucycutler

Bit of a long shot, but can anyone on the forum help with identifying this Hospital please?  I found this postcard/photo in the family album and an identification or any other observations would be very greatfully received.

1212156279_UnknownHospital.jpg.f49b5a7a45fb810d6d82d77548064223.jpg

Nice photo. I did a Google Images search that came up with no worthwhile suggestions.

My eye was caught by the YMCA banner. I couldn't think of instances of the YMCA providing facilities within a hospital, though I can't also think of any reasons why they shouldn't. Perhaps the Association had organised a tea party for wounded soldiers at a hospital - or for a day out at a large house that wasn't one? (I don't see any nurses, and I would expect these to be evident if the photo was of a hospital.)

Is there anything (photographer's name, pencilled inscription) on the back of the card? No doubt you would have said if there was - or is it frustratingly glued to the page?

Given a couple of facts, some others of us can do marvellous detective work: can you tell us the  name of your family member?

Moonraker

• Admin

I think I can see one possible candidate for a nurse - right middle distance, back to camera.

I have tried to decipher the banner might the last word be repatriation or rehabilitation? Also sticking my neck out a bit might the "W" word be Woking (or Working?)

The first part of it looks suspiciously like "AREA" followed by "No." or "Nr" (for Near)?

Heading off on an image hunt now.....

24 minutes ago, Moonraker said:

Nice photo. I did a Google Images search that came up with no worthwhile suggestions.

My eye was caught by the YMCA banner. I couldn't think of instances of the YMCA providing facilities within a hospital, though I can't also think of any reasons why they shouldn't. Perhaps the Association had organised a tea party for wounded soldiers at a hospital - or for a day out at a large house that wasn't one? (I don't see any nurses, and I would expect these to be evident if the photo was of a hospital.)

Is there anything (photographer's name, pencilled inscription) on the back of the card? No doubt you would have said if there was - or is it frustratingly glued to the page?

Given a couple of facts, some others of us can do marvellous detective work: can you tell us the  name of your family member?

Moonraker

There is in fact at least one nurse in the photo, to the right on the raised area between the brick columns, and I think, the out of focus person near the left hand side may also be a nurse. Plus of course the various soldiers in Hospital 'Blues' all suggested to me that it was a hospital or convalescent place.  Sadly, nothing at all on the back.  All the family members that I can identify as having served I think I have managed to sort out from other pics that I have found already, so I don't recognise any of the men here as being 'mine'. 

• Admin

Further thoughts on the banner - the last word could be RELAXATION?

With the number of civilians in shot could it be a YMCA Canteen?

Noted no officers visible, (at least to me!)

Any further context on where the photo appears within the collection? Possible timeline?

16 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Further thoughts on the banner - the last word could be RELAXATION?

With the number of civilians in shot could it be a YMCA Canteen?

Noted no officers visible, (at least to me!)

Any further context on where the photo appears within the collection? Possible timeline?

'RELAXATION' is a good call!  I thought about 'REHABILITATION' but that's too long for the gap between the E and the A.  No other info or timeline at all I'm afraid. My Grandmother was quite an avid collector of postcards and there are quite a few Great War connected ones in her old album (all of which I'd love to identify).  That branch of the family came from the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire, so the seated man (fifth from the left) with what appears to me at any rate, a Glosters cap badge just could be a relative possibly that I don't know about or simply just someone who was known to Grandmother.  I'll probably never know.  I have to admit that each time I look at the picture he does seem to be looking straight at me as if he's trying to tell me something.  Just wishful thinking on my part I guess!  

My initial thought was "RECREATION", but ...

There does seem to be a goodly number of civilian ladies talking to each other, rather than mingling with the soldiers, which suggests (just a little) that this might not be a hospital.

Moonraker

18 minutes ago, Moonraker said:

There does seem to be a goodly number of civilian ladies talking to each other, rather than mingling with the soldiers, which suggests (just a little) that this might not be a hospital.

Moonraker

Yes, I must admit that I wondered that as well.  :wacko:

Inside the entrance hallway there also appears to be a banner/pennant with YMCA on as well so perhaps more to do with them than a hospital?

Also potentially eight different cap badges in the seated group

George

Edited by George Rayner

How about "READING. WRITING. RECREATION" which would sum up the ethos of YMCA hostels.

Greenhill House at Sutton Veny in Wiltshire is one example of a large house being taken over by the YMCA (in this case the Australian branch) for relaxation, rather than hospitalisation. There's no evidence that it was used as such by British troops, and none of the photographs in a contemporary brochure show the architecture depicted in the OP.

More info re Greenhill or Sutton Veny House from Googling or searching the Forum (though, thankfully you may say, I can't trace the photo of me sitting in the hall 100 10 years ago).

YMCA archives are held at the University of Birmingham

but there's little visual material available online.

About 20 years ago I was in contact with a recognised YMCA historian, but can't locate one contactable today (though someone else may have better luck).

Moonraker

EDIT: such is my vanity that I've now located the thread showing me in Greenhill House. And it was 12 years ago. With apologies for going off at a tangent.

Edited by Moonraker

Just now, Moonraker said:

How about "READING. WRITING. RECREATION" which would sum up the ethos of YMCA hostels.

Great minds think alike Moonraker !!

11 minutes ago, ajsmith said:

Great minds think alike Moonraker !!

10/10 guys! I think you've nailed it there.  The lighter part of the flags was putting me off, it makes one think that there is a gap in the letters rather than letters there but masked by the flag.

• Admin
26 minutes ago, Moonraker said:

About 20 years ago I was in contact with a recognised YMCA historian, but can't locate one contactable today (though someone else may have better luck).

This Dphil history student is currently researching the YMCA

(Recent blog posts place her in France)   She may or may not be able to help. I think she may be a member of the forum

http://waltertheraleigh.blogspot.com/p/about.html

Ken

4 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

This Dphil history student is currently researching the YMCA

(Recent blog posts place her in France)   She may or may not be able to help. I think she may be a member of the forum

http://waltertheraleigh.blogspot.com/p/about.html

Ken

Thank you Ken, I'll buzz her an e mail and see if she can help

• Admin

Well done on the banner!

The surrounding area looks a little unkempt suggesting a rural rather than suburban location. That would fit with the occupation of a country house. Additionally porch like structure looks like a recent addition due to the brick work and roofing material

Now we just need a list of such occupations....

Your post has reminded me about a photo we have in our family box, also of wounded soldiers, and I have no idea of where it was taken or any of the men pictured. It's so frustrating when nothing is written on the back. I have now posted it on this site.

I hope you manage to find out who your men are, and the location. Good luck!

3 minutes ago, ljb said:

Your post has reminded me about a photo we have in our family box, also of wounded soldiers, and I have no idea of where it was taken or any of the men pictured. It's so frustrating when nothing is written on the back. I have now posted it on this site.

I hope you manage to find out who your men are, and the location. Good luck!

Thank you and good luck to you as well!  I have just e mailed the student that Ken suggested and I'll post anything she manages to come up with.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 14:28, daggers said:

Was it usual to issue new caps to wounded soldiers?  All those in the picture look parade-ready.

I hesitate to offer any opinion as I'm usually wrong, but as they were wounded, perhaps their own caps would have been damaged or gone missing at some point, hence a new replacement.  I understand that Hospital blues was a 'uniform' therefore a cap would have been required?  Or am I talking rubbish?