Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boulogne Eastern Cemetry

derekl

I'm planning a trip to the Boulogne Eastern Cemetery soon to visit the grave of my great grandfather. I have located the cemetery plan (from the CWGC site) but appear to be unable to locate the grave reference/plot that I have as the cemetery plan doesn't appear to use the same reference number. Is anyone able to assist me in locating the plot on the cemetery map please? I'm sure that when there the plot will be easy enough to find but I was trying to get a head start...

Many thanks

Good luck, they seem to be a bit messy there with foreign regiment plots and because of the soft ground, the headstones are flat and in the centre squares and not oblong as norm. We spent a while going up and down, yes there are different layers, and back to the gate and register a couple of times.... Eventually found all requested.

name,number?

• Admin

At least the burials are chronological which does help. If you post th details you have then perhaps it can be pinpointed.

Michelle

I have noticed that some references give the plots in roman numerals, and some using proper numbers. They are all one and the same. Once you get your head around it, its easy enough to work out and find what you are looking for.

Remember that there are 1st and 2nd World War graves within the Cemetery so that may be the reason, as WW1 Cemeteries more often than not have plots listed with roman numerals, but WW2 plots tend to start with numbers.

Thanks for the responses.

It's a WW1 grave and the reference is VIII. I. 44.

I can see 3 rows of a long 'plot 8' on the cemetery plan so I'm guessing it will be in one of those rows.

Thanks again

Name!!

its known for plot numbers to be incorrect. I've visited a few for members only to find not there. So now I double check name and their location with cwgc and sdgw records before I visit.

i find this cemetery confusing because of the number of plots and A, B, C and D plots then it jumps to I which under another discussion elsewhere , the question was raised , why no I rows.

looks like plot 8 I 44 is on the left side against the hedge past the cross, after the steps down.... See , simples!!

the other confusing thing here is some rows go 1-> the next goes <-1

Edited by chaz

On here, Peter Bennett has photos of every grave marker at Boulogne, if you want to see it before you go.

Thanks Temptage

when you say 'on here', is that on the website link you mentioned? only I can't seem to find any photo's of grave markers...?

• Admin

as you walk down the pathway on the right, your grave is past the cross , from memory drops down a level and its against the hedge on the left.

parking is outside on the side of the road, in bays, no charge but they can get filled up. bit of a puzzle getting to the cemetery depending on which way you go.

if on a trip across to Lens/Arras way , avoid the motorway and leave the cemetery and head across country... there is one almighty road that crosses from Boulogne speed camera at start and another at finish. In places its like a roller coaster dipping and climbing, straight in front with a left hand bend part way.... easy to speed

Boulogne East 2.jpg