Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Portrait miniature ,Help identifying Unit Please

Dear group ,

I have just joined having acquired 2 separate portrait miniatures of what I believe are British or commonwealth soldiers  of the first world war .

They are exquisitely painted  .The first shown here .your observations are very much welcomed . Thankyou for taking time to look .

IMG_7108.JPG

IMG_7112.JPG

Canadian is my wild stab in the dark. (Based on no knowledge may I add)

I would agree the second one is Canadian but the first one is British. He is an officer of the Territorial Force as indicated by the "T" letters below his collar badges. As for his regiment I have no idea, the cap and collar badges are too indistinct to tell.  Pete.

I'd say the top one is a badly-coloured representation of the Artists Rifles (28th London) badge.

Agree with above, first pic Artist’s Rifles depicting (poorly) famous Mars and Minerva badge, and second depicting a Canadian with a variant of the oft used Maple leaf collar badges.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I thought the first chap had a bit of the East Yorkshires about him.  Is it a bit too symetrical for the artists? There again,  since  the second looks  Canadian,  Couldthe top man be wearing the  Canadian G.S cap and collar badges? 

I'm going with bronze Artists Rifles cap badge top, the shape is right, and defiantly Canadian of some sort below.

Chris 

66143.jpg