Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant A.J.MacLeod RAMC

Noor

Hi all,

I tried many times LG and medical journals online but I am not able to find out a full name of RAMC officer Lieutenant A.J. Macleod.

His MIC and Medal roll are showing that he served in Salonika from 25th Nov 1916. His address where the medals were sent was 155 City Road, Hulme, Manchester.

Unfortunately there wasn't nothing else of him available. Also officers files in the NA site left me empty handed.

Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

It may be a co-incidence but the 1911 Census has a 31 year old single man, Allan John MacLeod, a Medical Practitoner born Stornoway, Ross who was recorded as a Boarder at 1 Church Lane, Harpurhey, Manchester. His original status in the household before it was changed to boarder was "Assistant". The head of the household was a married Medical Practitoner, Charles Gordon Lennox Skinner. Dr Skinner was from Glenlivet, Banffshire. I saw from his obituary that Dr Skinner was a graduate of Aberdeen University.

On a hunch I took a look at the Aberdeen University Roll of Honour of those who served in the Great War. The theory was that he might have helped a subsequent graduate from his old alma mata. There was an entry for Dr Skinner serving on Recruitment Medical Boards. Scrolling back to the MacLeods brought up this entry.

MACLEOD, ALLAN JOHN, M.B.,
s. of John M. ; b. Stomoway, 18 Dec. 1879. M.B., 1910. Lieut., R.A.M.C., Oct. 1916.
Served — Salonika, 1916-18.

https://digital.nls.uk/rolls-of-honour/archive/100259784?mode=transcription

Still doesn't guarantee it's the same man, but hope it helps,

Peter

Thank you Peter! I found him now on the LG. He was commissioned to the temp. Ltn. rank on the 11th November 1916.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Its weird there isn't much information available of him on the ancestry. Looks like he never married, etc??? Most of the hits that I am getting is John MacLeod :blink:

marriage.JPG.d1321c88e5662b94299a1f23af831d5d.JPG

pringle.JPG.c4fffb67500847dbe56e2782ab89e0b2.JPG

That would seem to be him. The marriage took place in fact in Manchester inOct/Dec 1928

She seems to have had a number of liasons, being born JonesPresumably the lady could not divorce, changed her name to Stannus in 1945 and married Stannus in 1970

If that is him, he probably died Littleborough, Lancs in 1937

Give you something to research:-)

His birth appears to be on Scotland's People, registered as

MACLEOD
 ALLAN
, M
, 1879
, 086/A 76
 , (Barvas Which is a few kms from Stornaway) You can pay for a BC onlineat scotlandspeople

43 minutes ago, corisande said:

If that is him, he probably died Littleborough, Lancs in 1937

I discounted that person, (possibly wrongly!), as I could not find a civil probate under the surname MacLeod or McLeod - which you might have thought there would be if he was a doctor. However he could have been visiting when he died and normally resident in Scotland, so his estate would have been dealt with there.

There are no children at all registered with the surnames MacLeod, mothers maiden name Pringle in England & Wales, and there is a big gap between 1922 and 1941 for children registered with the mothers maiden name Jones.

The Mary Z.P. Stannus who married in 1970 was married to a Reginald W G F Stannus. A Mary Zillah P Stannus died in the Brighton District in Q4 of 1993. Her birth date was the 16th January 1911 - which would have made her fairly young if she was married in 1928? The birth of a Mary Z P Jones was registered in the Fulham District in Q1 of 1911.

May be worth looking for her on the 1939 National Register to see what her marital status was - if she's not a widow at that point then her husband may still be with her.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Update - she was a Mary Zillah Pringle Stannus  according to the 1994 Probate Calendar

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=Stannus&yearOfDeath=1994&page=2#calendar

Edited by PRC

The 1933 The Medical Directory lists an Allan John McLeod of Free Manse, Ardersier, Inverness M.B., Ch.B. Aberdeen 1910,

The Roll of Graduates of the University of Aberdeen 1901-1925 shows him as: Son of John M. (deceased); born Stornoway, 18 Dec 1879; 84 Gray Street, Aberdeen.  

The University of Aberdeen Roll of Service in the Great War 1914-1919 indicates: Allan John McLeod, MB; born 18 Dec 1879, MB, 1910. Lieut., RAMC, Oct 1916. Served Salonika 1916-1918.