Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Emily Spence - Munitions worker

Jim Strawbridge

I am researching munition workers who died whilst serving. One of these I know just as E. SPENCE. She worked at No.1 Filling Factory, Crossgate, Leeds. I do not believe that she died in the dreadful explosion there but more likely from TNT poisoning or accident. There is a file at the National Archive (T 1/12052/18165) relating to a request for advance payments under the Workmen's Compensation Act 1906. There is an Emily Spence whose death was registered in Leeds in the first quarter 1917. It shouldn't take long tp look out as I have quoted the file number but I should be grateful if someone would check the file to get her full name, address and parent's names. Any brief details as to the reason for the claim would also be good to know.

An Emily Spence, who was a munitions worker living in Burke Street, Harrogate, died as a result of injuries caused by leaning out of a train window, on her way to work. She died 6 weeks later in Leeds Infirmary. This was reported in the Leeds Mercury dated 8 February 1917.

Martin

23 hours ago, tootrock said:

An Emily Spence, who was a munitions worker living in Burke Street, Harrogate, died as a result of injuries caused by leaning out of a train window, on her way to work. She died 6 weeks later in Leeds Infirmary. This was reported in the Leeds Mercury dated 8 February 1917.

Martin

Thank you, Martin. That is very helpful. If this is the one (and it probably is) then a death on the way to work, rather than at work, would cause a problem for the Compensation Board.

• spof changed the title to Emily Spence - Munitions worker