Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shipwright 142999 N T PRICKETT RN

Sgt Stripes

Hi I am researching 142999 N T PRICKETT RN. I know he was a Shipwright on HMS MERSEY Aug 1914-June 1917 but could anyone help in researching his early carrier in the RN, also the Mersey was a small ship so could someone explain to me how would he have fitted in IE what jobs, was he part of a larger carpenters crew, what type of badge did they wear  and were they on a better pay them most of the other crew.    

NELSON THOMAS PRICKETT joined the RN away back in November 1887, and had taken his pension in March 1910.  He was 50 when he returned to the colours in August 1914.  Given the length of his career, he served on quite a number of different vessels, so you might want to get a copy of his register of service (spread over two cards) from the National Archives (or Ancestry if you have access at a nearby library).

1 hour ago, Sgt Stripes said:

Hi I am researching 142999 N T PRICKETT RN. I know he was a Shipwright on HMS MERSEY Aug 1914-June 1917 but could anyone help in researching his early carrier in the RN, also the Mersey was a small ship so could someone explain to me how would he have fitted in IE what jobs, was he part of a larger carpenters crew, what type of badge did they wear  and were they on a better pay them most of the other crew.    

I think this should give you the information about his uniform in WW1. He was a shipwright class 1 in WW1:

http://uniform-reference.net/insignia/rn/rn_ww1_ranks_enlisted_1.html

RM

Many Thanks for replies . The ratings badges are very helpful.