Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Field lazarets of the Eastern front

Patfil85

Hi,

Does anyone have a list of Feldlazaretten of the Eastern Front?

I am particularly interested in Feldlazarett No 8 in Gluchow (skierniewiece, lodz district, Poland) and trying to locate it (or get ANY information about it), but with no success so far.

many thanks in advance,

Pat.

Hello,

Which Feldlazarett exactly? Number 8 or number 8 of which Armeekorps? And when exactly?

Jan

Hi,

I am investigating the whereabouts of my great-great father (which was a soldier in Prussian Cavalry) and I do only have a death certificate (which I found only recently) in which is stated that he died in Feldlazarett No 8 in Gluchow, was wounded during the fights in Rawa Mazowiecka. It was May 1915.I don't know which Armeekorps was that (but I know he was an ulan in Königs-Ulanen-Regiments,1. Hannoversches Nr. 13). I couldnt find any information on the internet, I looked through many historical local websites.

I would like to find out where this lazarett could be located (maybe get any photos, postcards?) and ultimately find the burial place of my ancestor.

Any help would be appreciated!

Pat

Please give us all information you have otherwise it's very difficult to help...

These are all information, unfortunately:( I only know my great-great father Josef Antczak died May the 15th 1915 in Feldlazarett No 8 in Gluchow, was wounded in Rawa. And that he served in Königs-Ulanen-Regiments,1. Hannoversches Nr. 13. I managed to track this regiment activity and in spring 1915 it fought by Rawka. I don't have any photos of him, just the death certificate (I got in in State Archive in Castrop where he lived and worked around 1914). My original question was about lazarets, since I hoped that in the beginning I could only get to know if there was (and if- where) a field hospital in Gluchow (a rather small village in Skierniewice district).I was hoping that someone might know or have list of feldlazarets. I checked this website: http://www.feldlazarette.wg.vu/ but I found onlu Field lasareth 8 in the Western Front.

Hello,

According to the Verlustlisten, he was killed in action ("gefallen", on the battlefield) and not in a Feldlazarett ("gestorben", died of wounds): http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/2227680

The regiment was fighting on the Rawka in the sector Kurzeszyn, the resting quarters of the 2. Eskadron war in Michowice, a bit to the West.

Possibly, the Feldlazarett issued the death certificate (as preferably a doctor should issue these) for administrative reasons. Early 1915, Feldlazarette were still numbered per Armeekorps, so it should be Feldlazarett 8 des ... Armeekorps (roman number).

Regards,

Jan

Many thanks! I wonder why then there was lazaret Gluchow in the death certificate? Do you know any other examples of this practice or can you explain what you meant by administrative reasons? So it seems that searching in Gluchow was a dead end...

I have seen other examples of men who were brought to a Feldlazarett even when they were definitely dead just to have their death be officially certified by a doctor.

He may also have been taken to a cemetery in Gluchow to be buried and a doctor may have then issued the death certificate so that everything was in order.

Or the information in the Verlustliste may be faulty and he may have died in or on the way to the Feldlazarett, in which case his death would have been certified by a doctor of the hospital as well.

Anyway, it was Feldlazarett 8/XI that was in Gluchow... Ulanen Regiment 13 was engaged in support of the 22. Infanterie-Division (XI. Armeekorps).

Many, many thanks! I would probably never discover the truth. .. One last question: Could you please tell me where I could read more about activities of this regiment during 1914 and 1915? And, out of curiosity, do you pehaps know where lazarett in Gluchow might have been located (type of building?) or could recomend any sources I could find photos of Gluchow from IWW? 

Hi,

maybe in a library near you or via "Fernleihe":

W. von Alten: Geschichte des Königs-Ulanen-Regiments (1. Hannoversches Nr. 13) im Kriege 1914 - 1918, Teil 1, Bremen, von Halem, 1927, Teil 2: Hartmann, Hannover, 1938.

GreyC

Hello,

I have indeed checked the books mentioned by GreyC for my reply. The fighting on the Rawka doesn't get many pages though...

There is a picture book "22. Infanterie-Division August 1914 bis Januar 1916" (which I have) in which I at least saw one picture of Gluchow.

Jan

Well done Jan! The online search is complicated by the fact that there seem to have been 12 places by the same name.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

It turns out that the book by W. von Alten: Geschichte des Königs-Ulanen-Regiments (1. Hannoversches Nr. 13) im Kriege 1914 - 1918 is very hard to get: there are three copies: one in Deutsche Nationalbibliothek in Leipzig / Frankfurt am Main and othre in the US:University of Michigan. This is quite impossible to get where I live, so by chance, does anyone have a copy and could share scans? (Perhaps very little chance, but I am pushing my luck):)

You can send me a private message, Patfil85.

• 1 year later...
On 31/03/2019 at 19:08, AOK4 said:

I have seen other examples of men who were brought to a Feldlazarett even when they were definitely dead just to have their death be officially certified by a doctor.

He may also have been taken to a cemetery in Gluchow to be buried and a doctor may have then issued the death certificate so that everything was in order.

Or the information in the Verlustliste may be faulty and he may have died in or on the way to the Feldlazarett, in which case his death would have been certified by a doctor of the hospital as well.

Although it's an old post, I'd like to add something because I came about a similar case today. I just found my greatgranduncle Viktor Smolka in the Verlustlisten (Pr. 663, p. 8484), as "gefallen". The Erinnerungsblätter of GGR 5 on the other side state that he was wounded on 5 Aug 1915 near Suchcice/Poland and brought to Sanitätskompanie 3, Garde-Reserve-Korps, where he died the same day (GGR 5, p. 660).

Hi.

Maybe it doesn't matter...

A few photos from Gluchow:

1. Road to Gluchow, 1915.

1006831575_Zrzutekranu(5).png.e649d31d33efc977db62805c888a0858.png

2. Road to Gluchow, affar off church of St. Waclaw (Wenceslaus), 1915.

863410446_Zrzutekranu(2).png.41eab57a22336240d2491825714396e9.png

3. Cottage, 1915.

2074532546_Zrzutekranu(3).png.d58294bf24010c90bfafee38f37a0c42.png

4. Gluchow center & church, 1915. Building on the left was "bricked" after WWII and was co-op residence. Demolished in 1970.

1831044553_94238473_114817653537047_7209111222040395776_o(1).jpg.ea32a97356979fec2cae563385b59b3b.jpg

5. Polish kids in front off church, 1915.

95493860_119562256395920_1099549496502648832_o.jpg.f500e5ebf273e1a1b69574ed43e990e6.jpg

6. Gluchow peasants, 1900-1915.

432574154_Zrzutekranu(7).png.e0f06498ad09dc39e58e348e66312f55.png

7. Possible Gluchow, 1915.

126222546_203832597968885_1150340833066365625_o.jpg.96bf8024211b32a662af93f79e256b9d.jpg

Edited by Josef Švejk

• 2 years later...

Hello,

I'm looking for help in tracing the fate of my ancestor during World War I. He was a member of the Feldjägerbatalion Nr. 25, he died in January 1915 in field hospital Number 7/10 and was buried in the cemetery in Wodzisław. There are two places in Poland with this name - Wodzislav Slaski and Wodzislav. I would like to learn about the participation of the above batailon in the battles at the turn of 1914 and 15 and also to find the correct place where my ancestor is buried.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

fubb52

Feldjäger were Military Police and should not be confused with the elite Jägertruppen (Light Infantry/Rifle Regiments). It would be best to start a new thread under Soldiers and their units giving all the information you have.

welcome to the forum

Charlie

8 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

Feldjäger were Military Police and should not be confused with the elite Jägertruppen (Light Infantry/Rifle Regiments). It would be best to start a new thread under Soldiers and their units giving all the information you have.

welcome to the forum

Charlie

No charlie, it is an Austro-Hungarian unit.

Jan

As it appears you are not going to open a new thread or provide any further information. I‘ll answer your question as to which  Wodzisław he was buried at here. FJB.25 was subordinated to the 25. Infantry Division, the Division was in the area of Brzegi on the River Nida from the middle to the end of December 1914. Wodzislaw is approximately 30 Kms SW of Brzegi which would be the right distance behind the front for a field hospital. Wodzislaw Slaski is some 210Kms west of Brzegi.

Charlie

IMG_5177.jpeg

Edited by charlie2