Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown medal, DCM link, Leicestershire

garfyboy

Hi folks

has anybody come across anything like this before?

to the front it has A T A and the Leicestershire regiment tiger/logo

the reverse has 11945 SJT A. ADAMS 7/LEIC

This chap was Arthur Adams and was awarded the DCM serving with the 7th Leicester’s, I guess the ATA could be his initials but just wondered what on earth it is? Home made?

thanks

3C3EB741-C4F6-4184-BA3B-2150A6185246.jpeg

1A5C29E2-37EF-4425-BB48-C4F31FE5A778.jpeg

A549580F-105A-43D3-8FDA-74B09699657D.png

3B504D16-38BA-473D-AB94-FD760D122424.png

"Army Temperance Association" would be my guess - whilst it's not one I immediately recognise they did issue medals for those who took the pledge after various periods of time.

Hi,

If you search the forum with “Army temperance” you’ll turn up a lot of hits including this topic in another Leicester Regiment Man - 

Steve

you

• Admin

The Army Temperance Association became "Royal" in 1902, medals were awarded after 12 months sobriety, though the more ornate may represent more years.  They were organised on a Regimental Basis therefore the emblem chosen, and the ribbon represented the recipients unit.  Therefore it might be worth contacting the Regimental Museum, they certainly have details of other men who were awarded the  ATA  medal. 

Ken

Edited by kenf48

Thanks for everyone’s input, I’ve never heard of a army temperance medal untill now, very interesting, I will indeed contact the regiment museum to see what they have to say

The FIBIS Fibiwiki includes a page Temperance organisations. https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Temperance_organisations

Although mainly about the organisations in India, there is some general information. 

IN particular, there are some details , in a footnote , about

A Guide to Military Temperance Medals by David A. Harris. 2nd Edition (with additional information) 2006.  Published by Stewart Publishing and Printing, Ontario, Canada. The author died in 2016. Note, now an archived webpage, so presumably the book is only available secondhand.

Cheers

Maureen

Edited by Maureene

This would appear to be an unofficial, locally made copy of the Second Havelock Cross. The ATA was at its most active In India, and this medal has ll the signs of being Indian made.

For general interest, here are the more common ATA medals:

http://indiannumismatics.com/products.php?id=76