Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bandoliers P1903 and identification requested

RGJDEE

Ladies and Gentlemen, I just aquired Two Bandoliers ,a black leather P1903? Marked to Barrow,Hepburn&Gale.1922

the other, brown leather and canvas( to inner of pouches) un marked, any comments, afirmations, denials and information gratefully recieved. 

Thanks in advance Richard.

86CAEA95-7156-45E0-A1BE-321FB0F8077A.jpeg

FA28AEAF-F0F0-4331-9F69-4325CD73BCB6.jpeg

96880EAC-13EA-46B0-812F-0DF9C753B6D9.jpeg

8A0DABF2-10A5-4FE5-AC44-ED18B0977B70.jpeg

Edited by RGJDEE

Hi Richard 

the 03 bandolier went up to the late 30’s and a lot of black versions may be either for use by the military and police units in Ireland. The other leather and canvas is Swiss I believe.

Dave

Thanks Dave. Any thoughts on the mis matched Makers stamps? I have a theory ? The HGR ( pre Company change, Barrow in and Ross out .191 stamped leather strap (Is GW surplus) used in the 1922Stamped and made By Barrow, Hepburn & Gale. 

??????

Richard.

The P1903 bandolier is for troops other than cavalry & mounted infantry. It saw limited use by personnel other than infantry through to the end of WW2. In the UK there was a tendency for any personnel in war zones to be using P1937 webbing, rather than leather equipments. In Australia the P1903 continued in manufacture and use through most of WW2, although manufacture dates after 1943 are unusual (I have not seen anything latter than 43). 

The lower bandolier is Swedish, used during the periods of both World Wars (Sweden being neutral through both). THey are usually marked by 3 crowns in a triangular configuration. I have no idea how to tell early from late manufacture. They are very common and sold as all sorts of things - British, German, French, Belgian, Turkish and as movie props from Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark. As I said, they are Swedish and were only used by Sweden.

Cheers

Ross

Thankyou Ross.

With the 1903 bandolier, it is quite common to find these blackened bandoliers with dual HGR and BHG marks and dates on them in the same places as shown. The explanation I have heard is that in 1922 BHG dyed black a large amount of brown leather bandoliers that had been manufactured during the war under their previous incarnation as HGR but had remained unissued to this point. After being dyed black they then subsequently had the companies newer details and new date stamped as well. Most of the HGR marks on these tend to be for 1918 so it would make sense they were modifying existing stock. Blackened leather equipment was commonly used by various Police and similar organisations at this time.  

I was also under the impression that the 1922 dated dyed Black 03 bandoliers were re-furbed for the newly formed RUC. (You will find most black versions have this 1922 date).

Edited by Toby Brayley

Andrew and Toby  thanks very much for sharing  your information.

Regards Richard.