Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Badge ID

pagius

Not sure if this is WW1 or not  but does anyone recognise the shoulder badge  , which looks like RAI?

55554578_2203552473230288_5133582982216417280_n.jpg

Possible.   This was first posted to a Malta interest group on Facebook and someone's comment was "the RAF don’t wear lanyards."  

My correspondent has now sent me the bigger picture and it was taken in Malta apparently.  So definitely not RAF.   Possibly RASC if there's another letter hidden.

55917880_2204888719763330_4531490045479092224_o.jpg

Edited by pagius

Royal Australian Engineer?

17 hours ago, pagius said:

Not sure if this is WW1 or not  but does anyone recognise the shoulder badge  , which looks like RAI?

55554578_2203552473230288_5133582982216417280_n.jpg

It does look like RAF, can't see how it could be though.

Perhaps move this thread to the Uniforms badges and insignia part of the forum where you'll probably get more of a response 

Hope this helps 

Chris

Possibly RAMC.

977F89A8-394B-4318-AFAF-481975ED95C8.jpeg

EE5A7DC7-CBB0-4BD5-B47A-68167E1246A9.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

What a singularly frustrating photo!  Sometimes I think there was a conspiracy between portrait photographers to obscure regimental badges, buckles and buttons to defeat posterity!  Or possibly to help DORA!  Not only does the shoulder title appear incomplete but the helmet shows no cap badge or flash! Grrr....

• 1 year later...

Hi I just happened to view your forum today while researching my relative's uniform. The gentleman in photograph is one of my ancestors. He is Carmelo Sacco from Malta born in 1892. As you can see I am still trying to trace his uniform. I have even searched the Royal Archives for his records with no luck. Thank you for your help.  As for BullerTurner's comment I agree whole heartedly with him. The search goes on.

6 hours ago, Bridgette Saliba said:

Hi I just happened to view your forum today while researching my relative's uniform. The gentleman in photograph is one of my ancestors. He is Carmelo Sacco from Malta born in 1892. As you can see I am still trying to trace his uniform. I have even searched the Royal Archives for his records with no luck. Thank you for your help.  As for BullerTurner's comment I agree whole heartedly with him. The search goes on.

Hello Bridgette,

As I mentioned above I think it is extremely likely that he was in the Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC), and probably based on Malta, where there was a substantial medical presence for the British military going far back, but especially from the Crimean War onwards.  

The island of Malta was very strategically based for Britain and wounded men were sent there via hospital-ship or dropped off from troopships to recover either sufficiently to return to the operational zone, or well enough to continue subsequently in another ship to Britain.  Several large hospitals were established on the island and of course there was a long tradition anyway from the Knights Hospitaller/Knights of Malta.  

You can read about the substantial military medical effort on Malta here: https://www.maltaramc.com

A great many local soldiers and nursing personnel (auxiliaries) from Malta itself helped to staff and administer the military and naval hospitals for the entirety of their existence.

During WW1 Malta was one of the main hospital bases for wounded and sick soldiers and sailors evacuated from Gallipoli, Salonika, and the other Middle Eastern theatres of war.  As well as treating wounds from military ordnance, there was treatment for the whole range of diseases common to that part of the world.

NB.  The shoulder title that he wears is key.  There wasn’t really any other title in white thread that fits with the R A and then an obviously vertically aligned, partial letter, other than RAMC.  I believe that Carmelo Sacco is a locally employed auxiliary of the RAMC, as he is not wearing the circular Red Cross arm badge generally worn by British regulars of that corps.

Also see:

1. http://www.scarletfinders.co.uk/190.html

2. https://vassallohistory.wordpress.com/military-hospitals-in-malta/

Edited by FROGSMILE

RussT  Thanks for your help but it isn't him.  Carmelo was born in 1/5/1897 in Birkirkara and  his names was Carmelo Joseph Joannes. Thank you once again for your interest