Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Burial location help - Reference given

clive_hughes

Hi folks,

I have been doing some research on a soldier with Anglesey connections.  He has a known grave, but in trying to work out where he was first buried my attempts to use the map coordinates get me nowhere.  Maybe I'm inputting them wrongly, and would like to ask for assistance please.  

He was R/18558 Rif. R(eginald) Maple, 9th KRRC, died of wounds 21 August 1917.  Buried Birr Cross Roads Cemetery, Belgium.  At the time his unit was in a support/reserve role facing the Westhoek Ridge, near Zillebeke, and being shelled.  I assume he lasted long enough after wounding to reach some sort of forward medical facility and was buried nearby.  

He seems to have been first recovered from a map ref. "Sheet 28.N.33.B.o.1" along with a Sergeant of the Canadian Mounted Rifles, and buried at Lindenhoek Military Cemetery, Wulverghem(?ref.Sheet 28 I.17.b.3.8), only to be later reburied at Birr Cross Roads.  I'm assuming the refs. are to Belgium Sheet 28 NW but I can't get the coordinates converter search engine to work with them.  If you need to look at the two concentration documents they are here: https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/460110/maple,-/

Any help gratefully received.

Clive

Edited by clive_hughes

Whoops!  Must read the posting correctly.

John

Edited by John Milner
Delete

Locations of 14th (Light) Division's Field Ambulances at the time (Diary of the ADMS):

N33B01.JPG

Edited by Chris_Baker

Hi Clive,

Chris_Bs LLT has help on reading map references - link. This link should open up on a map with square N.33 in the centre, and allows a blended view with the modern landscape, If you move your cursor to sub square b.0.1, you will see modern map/GPS co-ordinates in the bottom right hand side of the screen.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

Hi Clive, I suspect you put in the zero as the letter 'o'.  Use a coordinates converter with the zero and you should be fine:

image.png.a9bfc9bb546d721b556cd7a90fd57ae6.png

Thank you all for your valuable and useful input.  The original burial site doesn't seem to be related to the Divisional Field Ambulance locations, going by Chris' list.  If not a unit Aid Post, perhaps there was a sub-detachment to a smaller facility such as an ADS, Collecting Post, Relay Post etc. - but please don't trouble to search these out!  

I'm most grateful for the help.  

Clive