Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aeronautical Pioneer

Slingo

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I recently got the info that British aeronautical pioneer Cecil Compton Paterson married the niece of my great great grandmother.

Most of my  info I got from the internet these days.

Is there someone among the forum members who is aquainted with early aviation and / or Cecil Compton Paterson ?

An almost romantic sidestory is as follows:

Musician Wiliam Theodore Brailey who was keen on flying around 1911 befriended with Cecil Compton Paterson.

He was one of the eight musicians that played to soothe the passengers on the moribund SMS Titanic on the 14th/15th of April 1912.

This indeed is a rare relation.

viele Grüße

Gunther

Have you seen his photo?  You may have to subscribe to Ancestry for this link to work...

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/1283/31032_A200024-00014/23327?backurl=&ssrc=&backlabel=Return

Thank you very much ! This is great

In addition I found the other people flying at Freshfield etc.

Grüße, Gunther

Hi Slingo

Paterson pursued a significant career in South Africa which should be quite easy to trace, but let me know if you're unsuccessful and I will supply details. Rather busy at the moment, but I should have more time in a week or two.

Best wishes

Annette

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - Did you discover Compton Paterson's significant contribution to aviation in South Africa? If not, I have a bit of time now to fill you in.