Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Question: History of the Great War based on official documents: medical services

seaJane

Regarding the History of the Great War based on official documents: medical services: does anyone know whether there is a volume that deals specifically with the RN medical services? Or, is naval material dispersed throughout the volumes? 

If anyone knows which volumes may have a concentration of naval material, I'll be most grateful.

Thanks!

seaJane

• Admin

Macpherson's Medical History of the war is only concerned with the Army or, as he sets out in his foreword to the final volume 'Statistics", "the eleven million casualties sustained by the British Expeditionary Forces at home and in the various campaigns overseas during the Great War". No mention of the RN.

The RND might feature in the relevant volume(s) e.g. Volume IV Gallipoli, etc

A Google search throws up this paper on JStor which is well referenced (and interesting in its own right).

https://www.jstor.org/stable/26014040?seq=1#metadata_info_tab_contents

As you are probably aware the five volume "Naval Operations" has no reference in the main headings.

Ken

EDIT had a look at Volume IV there are about half a dozen indexed references to the Royal Navy but not especially relevant, e.g.in the the campaign in North Russia 'the Navy took over evacuation of casualties'

Edited by kenf48

Thanks for that clarification, Ken.

(harrumphs slightly on behalf of the RN).

I am middling sure that the Gallipoli volume is the one missing from the library set. On the other hand I do have Arthur Gaskell's Official History of the Medical Unit of the Royal Naval Division from its inception to the evacuation of Gallipoli which should cover that. I was hoping for something on treatment in home-based sick quarters etc.