Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Read this first

Chris_Baker

Many, many people are trying to find out what happened to Grandad in the Great War. There is no problem whatever with anyone posting a message on here asking if anyone has any information about an individual. Sometimes the names do turn up in lists - or maybe someone has researched someone else in the same unit.

But if all you know is his name, your chances of getting any real help on here are rather limited.

First thing to do if Grandad was in the British forces is go to The Long, Long Trail website and read through what you need to do to get the most basic info. You will see that most of the important records are located at the Public Record Office in Kew.

If you could not get to Kew yourself, you could use one of the professional researchers to do this first work for you. Some appear on the links page.

• 2 months later...

Chris:

Good point but keep in mind that some of us have very little knowledge of where to start in our search, and I must admit that 5 months ago when someone told me to check the PRO at KEW I had absolutely no idea what they were talking about, Of course, we colonials are some what backward in our true understanding of the great Europan wars. Of all the places I have searched, this is the best site for assistance. For all the books I have found Pen & Swords have been the best, neither of which I new about 5 months ago. Might I suggest that you have a link on this page that says "NEWBIES CLICK HERE" and that will direct the likes of me to a place where we can connect with the great European historians of the Great War. If I had been afraid to post here or ask questions I would have been months behind where I am today, so I hate to see anyone scarred away.

Richard of Canada

Guest joan cruse

I agree, I live in Australia and would prefer to do the research myself, if possible. Its my father I'm researching and all I have is his name, the fact that he was originally in the artillery, but was transferred to a Yorkshire unit. Then was sent back to an English hospital after being gassed. I don't know where to start, but if anyone out there can give me some advice I'd be very grateful. My father's name was Alfred Maggs and he lived in Islington London at that time.

Cheers

Joan Cruse

There is no problem whatever with anyone posting a message on here asking if anyone has any information about an individual. ...

But if all you know is his name, your chances of getting any real help on here are rather limited.

Just to repeat the reason for this post.

Hi Richard and Joan

I think Chris is just trying to say the more info. you have on the person you are looking for the more chance you have in finding what you want but he says if you only have a name then thats ok.

Chris it may be a good idea to have a list of all the places for researching the Great War and what these research centres can provide and address etc., to help people new to researching the war.

Regards

Annette

• 4 weeks later...
Many, many people are trying to find out what happened to Grandad in the Great War. There is no problem whatever with anyone posting a message on here asking if anyone has any information about an individual. Sometimes the names do turn up in lists - or maybe someone has researched someone else in the same unit.

First thing to do if Grandad was in the British forces is go to The British Army in the Great War and read through what you need to do to get the most basic info. You will see that most of the important records are located at the Public Record Office in Kew.

If you could not get to Kew yourself, you could use one of the professional researchers to do this first work for you. Some appear on the links page.

Thanks for your information and sugggestions however. I have been to Kew twice. I have looked thro the records. I have also talked to his regiment. I know his name , battalion, number , where he enlisted etc. His records are destroyed and I have read the battalion diaries. I have exhausted the normal avenues. What I am looking for is if there are any more records I can check such as hospital records etc or if there is a chance dates my be wrong or if any body can suggest any other avenues to follow. Maybe I posted the message in the wrong place if so please advise.

• 2 months later...
Kerry, I'm going to remove your post and place it in Units and Formations. Chris

• 2 months later...

I'm a lost soul really, I've been trying since 1991 to find about what happened to the four elder brothers of my grand father who went to Great war, My grand father was extremely reluctant to say anything about them when he was able to, now he is 93 and senile, I can get only blabbering out of him. I know that my great grand father was a Portugese Doctor in Sri Lanka by the name of Edwin Cofield Pereira (I guess his mother was British). and he had 19 kids! My grand father was the 17th and his mother was a native sinhalese woman, where as the first 10-12 kids were from my great grand fathers first portugese wife. my Grand fathres elder brothers were 20-25 years older than him, and because they were from different mothers, they hadn't had the best of realationships, anyway he had been only 4-5 when they left for war, fighting in the British army. I tried the emperial war graves commission, there were two Pereras without any details about their origin, but no Pereiras, ah I forgot, two of them came back, but other two went missing.

13 years of searcing and I only know taht they fought under the British flag and that their surname was Pereira, will I ever be able to find what happened to them?

Sam

Hi Sam,

I have just done a quick search on CWGC and came back with 22 Pereiras mostly Indian with no other details.

One that looks interesting is:

Pereira

Follower KRK/EPF/187

Followers central Depot

Died 22 November 1919

Of Nerul Bardiz, Goa Portuguese India.

I don't know if this is one of yours but it could be a possibility.

Hope this helps

Regards

Ali

I've let Sam know that - amazingly - there are at least 150 Pereiras in the medal index cards at Kew. I'm going through them to find any men with Ceylonese units, and there are a few.