Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Please - Uniform

Steve Monk

Hello, I'm new here and currently researching my relatives involved in the first world war.
I am hoping someone could identify the regiment my Great Grandfather was in by the picture I have of him on a horse.
He seems to have been in several, namely the East Kent Regiment then the Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment but in this photo the badges don't look familiar for either, but I am no expert.
Could someone kindly tell me what they are please? if you can see them clearly enough.
Thank you.

Arthur (Jessie) Monk1.jpg

Looks like Royal Artillery to me. 

Looks like artillery to me also.

Dave.

Agree Royal Artillery.

He also has a divisional shoulder patch that may be recognisable. (30th Division?)

Scott 

RA shoulder title.png

Shoulder patch.JPG

Edited by Waddell
Added more.

Thank you, I am finding it very difficult to track his WW1 history down, I can't seem to find much about him unlike my other Great Grandfather who was KIA in Ypres, found out a lot about him but as this one lived it seems hard to trace him. Wish I had asked him when he was still alive.

Steve,

What was his name? Have you looked though the Medal Index Cards or for his records? 

Scott

Hi Scott,
Yes I have and they don't say a lot just the normal two medals not even the 1914-15 star.
He was in the Buffs and Queens West Surrey but I can't work out which way round it was, he was in the TA to start with I think then at the age of 38 was conscripted and put in the Queens, I don't know I'm just clutching at straws.
He was discharged in 14/12/1917  and entitled to wear the wound stripe, I have a picture of him in the Buffs where he appears to be older and was a sergeant. 

Arthur Monk T/207401

Medal Record.jpg

Here he is in the Buffs

Arthur (Jessie) Monk2.JPG

• Admin

Wearing an imperial service badge, which means he  was a territorial. Mounted photo is definitely Artillery and the patch could be 30th Division.

Michelle

I don’t think that the two photos show the same man.  The sergeant with the Imperial Service tablet suggests pre-WW1, as does the apparent absence of WW1 medal ribbons.

The mounted gunners cloth badge is not 30th Div, whose sign was a winged bird of some kind.  It is I think the prancing horse of Kent with INVICTA scroll, which implies the Kent Artillery Volunteers.  I enclose an image of a brooch representing that unit.  You can read about their history at this link: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Kent_Artillery_Volunteers

E6AC7094-D2E7-4393-A012-6547BF99851B.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

He certainly has pre-war service if they are efficiency stars, he have to have been a volunteer pre TF.

image.png.3550c730575188cab31cbf69df19f1a7.png

Craig

14 hours ago, Steve Monk said:

Hello, I'm new here and currently researching my relatives involved in the first world war.
I am hoping someone could identify the regiment my Great Grandfather was in by the picture I have of him on a horse.
He seems to have been in several, namely the East Kent Regiment then the Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment but in this photo the badges don't look familiar for either, but I am no expert.
Could someone kindly tell me what they are please? if you can see them clearly enough.
Thank you.

Arthur (Jessie) Monk1.jpg

This is a post war photograph showing a member of the 97th (Kent Yeomanry) Field Regiment Royal Artillery.

Hope that helps!

Elliot

That’s great Elliot and makes complete sense.  The Kent Yeomanry badge was the same prancing horse mentioned, as I'm conscious you will already know.

5E92AB74-EB79-409E-8BDF-55D781A1A56E.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

13 hours ago, Steve Monk said:

Here he is in the Buffs

Arthur (Jessie) Monk2.JPG

He has simplified SD, usually dating it to wartime. He has at least 20 years service in the V/TF(the stars were for 5 years and post 1908 4 years returning efficient.), if this helps the identifying him at all.  Wonderful picture. 

regards

Toby

Edited by Toby Brayley

46 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

The mounted gunners cloth badge is not 30th Div, whose sign was a winged bird of some kind.  

Was it not the Liver Bird?

No, but it was the Eagle and Child, crest of the Earls of Derby.  Compare the cap badge of the Liverpool Pals battalions, 17-20th KLR.

D

Thanks. I knew that - brain fade!

I'm 63 you know.

1 hour ago, Toby Brayley said:

He has simplified SD, usually dating it to wartime. He has at least 20 years service in the V/TF(the stars were for 5 years and post 1908 4 years returning efficient.), if this helps the identifying him at all.  Wonderful picture. 

regards

Toby

Kicking myself Toby!  Simplified SD staring me in the face.  Dohhhh...

I’m still doubtful that it’s the same man though.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it.
I know he was in the East Kent Regiment (The Buffs) in the TA for many years and according to his military record the Queens (West Surrey Regiment), The horse picture did throw me, My father who's grandad he was says they are both Arthur Monk, however is he getting a little forgetful at times.
I have been trying to work out in what order he would have served and where he might have been in the first world war. Bit of a nightmare for a novice like me.
Thank you all again.

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 13:30, elliot#1 said:

This is a post war photograph showing a member of the 97th (Kent Yeomanry) Field Regiment Royal Artillery. 

Hope that helps!

Elliot

Thank you Elliot

There is something about the physique of the mounted Gunner which makes me also wonder if this is the same guy?  It is also interesting that he appears to have gone from long service Sergeant to elderly Gunner?  However that isn't remarkable or sinister, because many people had to accept reductions in rank after the Great War. What is interesting is the transformation from foot-slogger to horseman?  At a quite advanced age and after a long service in infantry of the line?

of course he might have been au fair with horses in his civilian job...many were in the early C20th.

I would be inclined  to agree that it is not the same chap.