Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fattyowls

I am currently working on something about the Bois-Grenier area during WW1, and in particular the period when it was held by the 2/10th (Scottish) Battalion of the King's Liverpool. This period is commemorated through a cairn, dedicated in 2005, which makes particular mention of a trench raid, Dickie's Dash on 29th June 1917. Ian Riley, who was heavily involved eloquently described the ceremony in the attached post back then.

I am not aware of any other memorials that specifically mention trench raids and I was wondering if anyone knows of others.

Pete.

358306461_TheLiverpoolScottishCairnatLaBridoux.JPG.ab9bd872c51a8c716b34b0027b929e2a.JPG

Edited by Fattyowls

hi Pete,

There's the plaque to the DAYLIGHT RAID made by the 19th Bn Canadian Infantry on the 28th July 1916. It's at the Palingbeek domain and was inaugurated in 2016 I think, to mark the centenary...

It's closed to Oak Dump Cemetery

M.

Edited by Marilyne

Thanks Marilyne, that's exactly what I was hoping for. I was thinking of using the word unique for the Bois-Grenier memorial but clearly it isn't.

Pete.

P.S. Regards to bear.

On a related note has anyone ever come across a definition of a trench raid? I'm wondering if the post war committee that decided on the dates of battles and what constituted things like an action had anything to say. I was wondering if any attack which did not have the intention of holding onto the enemy lines entered would be classed as a raid, regardless of the number of troops used.

Pete.

The example which springs to mind is that "Attack on (a place)" meant an unsuccessful attack, and "Capture of" meant a successful attack. The report of the Battles Nomenclature Committee does distinguish between a Battle (involving at least a Corps),  an Action (involving at least a Division) and an Affair (a smaller business, e.g. Nery on 1 Sept 1914, and other activities during the retreat from Mons). Trench raids are not mentioned, presumably because it was not intended to commemorate them by battle honours for the regiments concerned.

Ron

Much appreciated Ron. The trench raid marked by the Le Bridoux memorial was I think company strength, but took place in roughly the same location as another daylight raid by the 2nd Auckland NZEF in late February 1917 which involved rather more troops, most of the battalion if memory serves. It was also the location of a diversionary attack by a brigade to coincide with the opening of Loos in September 1915, which was intended to capture as per your definition. And Fromelles is a brisk 20 minute walk away, where I would think an affair, a battle and an action took place in '14, '15 and '16 by that definition.

Pete.