Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pre WWI? - WWI?

guntoast

I found this Artillery Insignia with my great grandfather's WWI military things. It clearly has a 63 attached to it (unless I'm seeing crazy), and appears to look U.S. to me. The problem is it appears older than WWI period to me, with the fat guns and the type of pin back it has. Plus the soldered construction. So I've been doing research, and as far as I can find it appears the only U.S. 63rd Artillery was activated 10 December 1917 as 63rd Artillery (CAC). Could this be a 1917 Coast Artillery device? Anyone have a better history than I could find, or know a little better that might point to something I'm missing? Or maybe someone can tell me if I'm just wrong haha. Thanks for the input.

fullsizeoutput_535.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_536.jpeg

I did see those, and they really bother me. While I agree that they do look and seem like they would fit the Span-Am period, I’ve searched not only the internet extensively for the last couple weeks, but I’ve also looked through numerous historical artillery books (both my dozen or so, as well as another half dozen from the base library), and have not been able to find anything related to a “63rd” as far as artillery goes prior to 1917. On paper anyway... I’ve found many of these devices, but no Organization or order of battle they might have belonged to. 

I’ll have to continue my research and see what I can find. It has to be somewhere, but I assume either very short lived or a subordinate to another unit, being that there is no readily available information regarding the existence of any 63rd prior to 1917. 

Hopefully someone else may be able to shed some extra light. Thanks for the help. 

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing really similar to this I've seen, on the net, is ACW period...and CSA not Union?

I don't suppose you can see underneath the solder, to check whether the numerals were originally part of the casting and have broken away and been repaired, or are they a subsequent addition?  However, whether this takes you closer to your destination, I'm not sure.