Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private William Findlay

elinga

Hello I recently found out my great grand father "died" on 27/11/1915 , he was a Private with the Royal Scots Fusiliers 7th Bn.

his service number was 13131 , according to CWGC he is mentioned  on the LOOS MEMORIAL !

he was the Husband of Mary McCafferty Findlay, of 93, Fullarton St., Irvine, Ayrshire.

according to what I have read his Bn landed at Boulogne 9 July 1915 but on CWGC he died 27.11.1915

can anyone help me with what might have happened to him ?

any help would be gratefully appreciate

regards Elinga

• Admin

Your g-gfather was killed in action on the 27th November 1915.  The previous day his Battalion had relieved the Royal Scots in trenches, the Royal Scots Fusiliers War Diary does not mention any casualties on the 27th.  However the 45th Brigade diary notes one other rank from the 7th RSF was killed.

The entry notes the enemy artillery was “quiet all day” that day, but it was very cold and the men in the trenches suffered ‘discomfort’.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14053648

He appears to have been one of the attritional casualties of trench warfare killed by a sniper or stray shell.  Downloading either diary will allow you to follow his movements in France.  The Brigade diary has maps.

Ken

He was included in the War Office casualty list of 5 December 1915, classified as killed in action, that appeared in the "Times" ten days later.

"The Scotsman" of 11 December 1915 has a very short obituary.

Edited by Chris_Baker

6 hours ago, Chris_Baker said:

He was included in the War Office casualty list of 5 December 1915, classified as killed in action, that appeared in the "Times" ten days later."The Scotsman" of 11 December 1915 has a very short obituary.

Chris thanx for the info about the scotsman , I have spent some time looking, can you suggest what I should put in the search window !

I have tried ww1 ,obituaries , the date and his name and not got anywhere :-(

decided I cant afford both so going for the diary , is there a photograph of him in the Scotlsman Chris ?

Edited by elinga

A little off topic but a biog and pic of his brother KIA 10/8/15, David Jaffrey Finlay is in De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour

Edited by Mark1959