Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with RMLI record

Tavern Druid

Hi

Excuse my complete ignorance on this matter.

But I am trying to work out from a Royal Navy service record how to tell if a RMLI man served on the western front (or any other land based conflict for that matter) as well as serving on board ship.

On the service record in the column headed Name of Ship or Divisioit has the following

Chatham Bn (which I assume is Battalion)

Victory (RMBgde) (which must be Brigade)

then ditto

Chatham Bn

then ditto again

Prince George

Chatham Bn

then ditto a third time

Vanguard (The ship on whcih he was killed when it expolded at Scaps Flow)

Against the three Chatham entries  in the coloumn headed Cause of Discharge from Ship or Division

the record states Embarked.

I will probaly feel a little stupid as answer is most likely to be obvious but I can't see it so I will be very gratefull for any help.

Thanks

David

Check that the "Chatham" entries are "Chatham Dn" [Chatham Division RMLI] and not "Chatham Bn" which would be very unusual. His probable drafts were HQ Chatham Division RMLI -> Royal Naval Division [RM brigade] -> HQ Chatham Division, What were his name and register number?

Edited by horatio2

'Victory V, RM Brigade' may suggest service with either the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force  (MEF Gallipoli ) or British Expeditionary Force ( BEF Western Front).

Dates of service in each are recorded in the bottom right hand corner of service records.

A post by Tavern Druid on the Vanguard photographs thread gives Woods, John William Ch.265(S), but I think it must in fact be Woods, John William 268 S Chatham Division Short Service:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7815992

The man identified by seaJane was drafted into the RND on 5/12/1914. He served with Chatham Battalion RND at the Dradanelles (MEF) 6/2/15 to 13/7/15 when he was diagnosed with nervous shock. He was Invalided to UK with enteritis on 21/10/1915, rejoining the Chatham Division HQ on 2/12/1915.

19 hours ago, horatio2 said:

Check that the "Chatham" entries are "Chatham Dn" [Chatham Division RMLI] and not "Chatham Bn" which would be very unusual. His probable drafts were HQ Chatham Division RMLI -> Royal Naval Division [RM brigade] -> HQ Chatham Division, What were his name and register number?

19 hours ago, 58 Div Mule said:

'Victory V, RM Brigade' may suggest service with either the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force  (MEF Gallipoli ) or British Expeditionary Force ( BEF Western Front).

Dates of service in each are recorded in the bottom right hand corner of service records.

Hi Horatio2 and 58 Div Mule

Thanks for your replies.

Yes when I take a closer look it does appear the the abbreviation is Dn not Bn.

His name is  JOHN WILLIAM WOODS RMLI

and his service number is written on his record as 368 (S) with the brackets.

The only enty on the bottom right hand corner is a reference to his war gratutuity dated 5/7/19.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this post

Many Thanks

David