arantxa

IMG_7401.jpg

IMG_7421.JPG

IMG_7424.jpg

IMG_7425.jpg

IMG_7771.jpg

IMG_7778.jpg

IMG_7799.jpg

GReat finds , which part of the German lines are they from? Is there only German finds there?

Tony

I was amazed in 3-4 hours must have been a lot of action eh  the northern sector nearly all german luckily I know all the farmers  really well over the years I just walk ive never used anything else just maps

IMG_7796.jpg

That's quite some treasure !!!

As you mention Loos and hohenzollern redoubt in your info, I gather you found this around there ???

M.

yes Loos was a big battle over the years ive found everything from Gas canisters,pickelhaubes to piles of Mk 1 grenades...it just makes you realize how well prepared the Germans were if this is found a 100 plus years later in a couple of hours..i did also come across a Kugal grenade but left it as it has the wire missing meaning it was primed..these things look rusty on the outside but inside they are immaculate

Yes Loos was a big battle and it shows how well prepared the German were if all this ammunition a hundred years later is found in a couple of hours (I left the kigal greande where I found it .Over the years ive found Gas cannisters (like oxygen hospital bottles) pickelhaubes (relics0 piles of Mk1 grenades etc

when im over next im always happy to show anyone around the battlefileds as I know it very well now

I also came across these..the webley bullet would indicate close combat..but the german bullets  decay on the heads

IMG_7077.jpg

IMG_7062.jpg

IMG_7074.jpg

IMG_7053.jpg

Ive been interested for the last 45 years ever since talking to my Grandfather who was in the Wilts and MGC AND I ALWAYS RESPECT WHAT THESE LADS DID for us and do talks at schools etc  the artefacts were found a couple of weeks ago a quill and a  is it 98 German bayonet beocuse Loos is a 1915 battlefield so still a lot of regulars

IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1009.jpg

IMG_1010.jpg

IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1788.jpg

IMG_2041.jpg

IMG_2068.jpg

IMG_2664.jpg

IMG_2752.jpg

Incredible finds sir! Is the one photo of the metal plate with a slit cut into it by any chance a sniper shield? 

It must be quite thrilling to find these things. And of course, as you mentioned, never ever forget the sacrifices and hardships those men went through. 

I think in some small way that those who find, preserve and show a respectful interest in the objects that once formed part of these horriffic battles are honouring those who fell by perpetuating their memory. 

yes I agree with you and yes a snipers plate when I get a chance I will pop up some more pictures of rifles and things and when I talk to school trips etc I give them an old cartridge or some shrapnel balls and I hope it will spark an interest like my Grand father did too me..

Arantxa that is really a great thing you're doing. Even if your talks and the act of giving them an empty bullet case or shrapnel ball sparks a lifelong interest in one child, you've done a good deed.  Remembering and honouring our history is so very important. 

Hear Hear!!!

If it can just spark their interest a little bit in going OUTDOORS and walk and learn, instead of sitting in front of the telly or the computer...

M.

Found on The Somme last year...

F285B84F-A6FD-447B-9B4D-3D8E9C11E76A.jpeg

A good haul Ghazala. Please forgive my ignorance but that big bullet at the bottom right (if indeed it is a bullet) looks quite a lot like a Browning .50 cal bullet? 

Am I correct? 

Edited by Michael Thomson

It is very likely. Given how much German transport on the Somme was stafed by .50cal armed fighters in 1944 I'm suprised more doesn't turn up. 

Love the french bayonet , where was it found?

Tony

7 hours ago, ServiceRumDiluted said:

It is very likely. Given how much German transport on the Somme was stafed by .50cal armed fighters in 1944 I'm suprised more doesn't turn up. 

That's what I was thinking. I recently read an archaeological paper on the battlefield site of Agincourt and they found absolutely no medieval relics on the site but they did find a WW2 .50cal browning bullet!

They seem to turn up in the most unlikely places! 

I'm sure that many of these fell to earth from a fighter or U.S. bomber during 1944

On 29/03/2019 at 08:37, ServiceRumDiluted said:

Witnessed of course by the famous .50cal slug embedded in one of the bronze tanks on the Pozieres memorial.