Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William John Morgan, Tank Corps

Russ Morley

I’m looking for information on William John Morgan probably serving with Tank Corps in France in 1917-18. Thanks in anticipation. He was born in Wales around 1900 possibly Crickhowell. Later lived in Porth, Rhondda, Mid Glamorgan.

Kind Regards, Russ Morley

A quick search of medal rolls reveals at least 3 William John Morgans:

201846 Pte W J Morgan

316402 Pte W J Morgan

76948 Pte W J Morgan 2nd Bn, ex London Regt.

Welcome to the Forum Russ.

Can you give us any more information about his time after the war?

201 846 enlisted on 6 Apr 1915 and was discharged on 20 March 1919. He was also awarded a Silver War Badge,  The date of enlistment makes me think he was born well before 1900

201846 was born in 1898 according to a WFA Pension Ledger Card. 3 addresses: Newport, Brecon and lastly Brighton. GSW Back and Arm. 

• 7 months later...

Sorry for the long delay in replying. I knew this man quite well but didn’t have much knowledge of his early life. I now know that he was born on 27th July 1897. After the war he returned to Porth, Rhondda where he was a colliery labourer living with extended family at 35 Lincoln Street, Cymmer until his death around 1977-78. John was never married.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for your help. John or Will as my grandmother called him was 17 when he enlisted so fits with 201846. He also spent some time near Crickhowell which would have been Breconshire at that time.