Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joseph William Webster

Gareth Davies

The great uncle of my father's girlfriend, 19465 Pte Robert Webster from Bolton, died in Belgium in 1915 soon after arriving there. He is buried in Talana Farm.  He was the son of Mrs Webster of 8 Eagle Street, Bolton.  He had previously been 3700 Pte R Webster in the Lancashire Fuiliers.  So far so good.  But he had a brother, Joseph William, who according to the website Bolton Remembers, also served and died (possibly missing).  But I can't find him.  Where is he please?

Robert: https://boltonremembers.org/name/webster-26/    https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/100481/webster,-/  

Joseph William:  https://boltonremembers.org/name/webster-23/

• Admin

Gareth

The closest I can get at the moment is this chap (Images courtesy of Ancestry) but it seems as if he may have survived the war as I cannot find him on CWGC and he was awarded a SWB. He had to have been a professional soldier and served with 2Bn Lancashire Fusiliers if I am reading LLT correctly to have been at the battle of Le Cateau.

Note the "see Joseph W" on the top of the MIC.

But the SWB record has me puzzled as it shows a 1917 Enlistment date - somewhat at odds with his low service number and date of entry on the MIC!

Regards

David

image.png.c8cdfa688cdd7a5eb201b8f5bcee6453.png

image.png.bd3b9946debe7ef20b1ee82751d09734.png

image.png.1e4f7a55784989441c3d9e4ce30ebf8b.png

Yes, I saw that MIC but missed the SWB entry. Thank you.

Strange.  And strange that the family story is that he went missing.

1321 LCpl J W Webster has the MM according to Ancestry.

Can anyone look up the Bolton Journal & Guardian for 9 Jul 1915 please?  Apparently he gets a mention.

Yes, I had the same thought and had a look. Thank you.

The other medal card shows also 102441 Liverpool Regiment. Ancestry has listed as John W - and as we know Ancestry is also having trouble finding men with muliple numbers. The WFA card for 1321 also has both regiments.

Numbering blog for Lancs Fus

1305 joined on 19th August 1907
1486 joined on 11th May 1908

So should the SWB read service form 5/10/07 rather than 5/10/17. Says he is 30 on the list so suggests 1888 ish birth

Think the man your looking for was born c1891.  But could have lied about his age. 

FMP has a 3048 for a Wm Webster claiming to be 17y 4m old. Lancs Fus Militia attested 27/7/07. Claims already in 2nd V Battalion LNLR. The record shows this chap joined Lancs Fus on 5/10/07. So am assuming he is 1321.

He gives his father as NoK. William living at 53 Castle Street, Bolton. Though Wm junior gives his address as Chapel Street. If I have the right family for the man you are after, in 1901 census they appear to living at 1 Castle Street. Searching to see if I can find family in 1911. 

Edited by Mark1959

The links I posted have them at Eagle Street.

• Admin
23 minutes ago, Gareth Davies said:

The links I posted have them at Eagle Street.

Just browsed all 268 1911 census entries for Webster in Bolton, Lancashire as listed on Ancestry and can confirm none are listed as living in Eagle Street (and I have checked the street still exists today) so presumably the family moved to that address after the census.

Note to self - there must be an easier way!

That's very kind of you David, thank you. 

The correct family seemed to move about around Bolton. Electoral records for William and Martha (the parents) end up at 1, Reformation Street but early 1920s records for Smith St are probably them as well. Cannot find the Bolton newspaper quoted on the BNA.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Gareth Davies said:

Can anyone look up the Bolton Journal & Guardian for 9 Jul 1915 please?  Apparently he gets a mention.

If anyone is in Bolton the Library should have it on microfilm if all else fails http://www.boltonlams.co.uk/archives/archives-indexes/bolton-newspapers

You might try asking the library? https://selfserve.bolton.gov.uk/citizenportal/form.aspx?form=Ask_Bolton_Libraries

Ta.

Yes, that does look as if it would fit. No headstone on Find A Grave.