Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Imperial German Ammo Pouch for 1888 Rifle marked to 5th Baden Infantry

msdt

Got this last Sunday as I liked the look of it, and always like a regimental mark! It looks to me as if it is designed for rounds in chargers, and as it is dated 1890 I assume it is for the 1888 Commission Rifle. However I have not found exact examples on the internet. The maker is F W Kinkel of Mainz.
Does anyone know what model this is?
Cheers,
Tony

IMG_2834.JPG

IMG_2835.JPG

IMG_2836.JPG

IMG_2837.JPG

IMG_2839.JPG

IMG_2842.JPG

IMG_2843.JPG

Hi Tony,

I believe it is the Patronentaschen M1887 for the M1888 Commission Rifle as you say. May have been later modified.?

See another thread HERE with some further information. Still doesn't really answer your question. I think yours is a "hybrid".!

Hi shippingsteel,

Hope life is treating you well! Searching using Patronentaschen M1887 or Patronentasche M1895 does find some similar items. However I wonder about these model designations. This particular ammo pouch is bigger (in the one dimension) than the ones for the 11mm ammo for the 1871 and 1871/84 Mausers which have the inserts for individual rounds. I don't think that it has been modified but is a model made for the 8mm rounds in the chargers. The M1895 nomenclature does not square with a date of 1890 (and similar found on the internet). However it does appear that it is for the M1888 rifle.

These 2 are identical:

https://picclick.de/Zwei-Patronentaschen-M-1888-223448132692.html

Cheers,

Tony

You're right Tony those ones you listed are identical, and both dated close to yours, 1890 and 1891.

So it would appear that they are the Patronentaschen M1888 and definitely for the M1888 rifle and the holding of its en-bloc clips. 

I don't know that much about these, but I do know there are some very good books out there that go into some detail on these types.

Thanks for the input shippingsteel, it was the German for ammo pouch that greatly helped. I am sure that one day I will spot the official designation, but with the 3 examples now it seems that there is no doubt it is a new design for the 1888 rifle. One thing I wonder is whether the pattern would be used by only one of the German kingdoms of the time, I would have expected more hits on the internet so maybe they were not made in huge quantities.

Cheers,

Tony

Just realized that the pictures of the 2 pouches for sale had a scan from a book at the end, so looks as if Patronentasche 88 is correct. Unfortunately it is a jpg file and so far have been unable to get at the text to get it translated. The original with the pics on the web site, link above, can be viewed bigger.

Zwei-Patronentaschen-M-1888-_57.jpg

Edited by msdt

Have now worked out the regimental mark:

5. Badisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 113 (5th Infantry Regiment of the Grand Duchy of Baden, and the 113th of the German Empire)

Cheers,

Tony

• msdt changed the title to Imperial German Ammo Pouch for 1888 Rifle marked to 5th Baden Infantry