Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant B. T. Hodgson, Royal Irish Rifles KIA 21 March 1918

laughton

Lieutenant B. T. Hodgson is reported in the war diary (personal copy) of the 1st Battalion Royal Irish Rifles as KIA on 21 March 1918. He is listed with the other Officers KIA that day, one of which was my Great Uncle - 2nd Lt. James Kennedy. All the other officers are accounted for, but I can find NO RECORD of Lieutenant Hodgson, dead or alive, anywhere. Who was this man?

This comes from the topic on the Grand-Seraucourt British Cemetery. I was tracking all the officers to try and learn how they knew that the unidentified 2nd Lieutenant was my Great Uncle. It could have also been 2nd Lt. J. C. Thompson. Lieutenants Kerr and O'Kane are listed (CWGC Link), albeit on the Pozieres Memorial. Only my Great Uncle was identified.

I also tried versions of ROBERT instead of BOB and even just B.T., R.T., and HODGSON or *SON. Very strange that this man does not seem to exist?

1akh0utpde9t8616g.jpg

Is the war diary not saying that he was missing, i.e. Not necessessarily dead

Have  you checked Red Cross for the possibility of him being a pow?

I think the way the listing is written he is one of the dead officers...and I cant find him on any site I can access at all. Doesn't mean he's not there of course!

George

13 hours ago, corisande said:

Is the war diary not saying that he was missing, i.e. Not necessessarily dead

Have  you checked Red Cross for the possibility of him being a pow?

He is in with the list that is all dead (Kerr, Okane, Hodgson, and my great uncle Kennedy).

Good idea to check POW!

Looks like the Bertie Hodson must be the man, should have thought to check the "Secondary Regiment" listings. Good man David!!

Edited by laughton