Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identify Unit from Service No - 1260 / 56515 Welsh R

WingCo

The man on the right wearing the hat is my great uncle. On the back of the card is written:

image.png.2b77e5f4967d6cef6421e2f6691af23b.png

Private James William James No 1260, B Coy, 2/7 Welch Cyclists.

Llantrithydd Park, Bonvilston, Cowbridge, nr Cardiff.

He was ‘wounded in the leg in a terrible battle in Egypt 3 Nov 1917’ (written in the family bible).

My research so far has revealed that:

·         Under the Welsh Regiment, the 1/7th, 2/7th and 3/7th (Cyclist) Battalions were all raised in Cardiff, on 4 Aug 1914, in the Autumn of 1914 and in Spring 1915, respectively, but that they remained in the UK.

·         Many men from the Cyclist Btns were re-brigaded to other units and served with their parent regiments overseas.

·         On 3 Nov 1917, a fairly serious engagement took place as members of 4th and 5th Welsh assaulted Tel el Khuweife following the Third Battle of Gaza.

·         His SWB record (502058) shows he served from 8 Feb 15 to 14 Dec 18 and was discharged from Depot Welsh aged 24.

·         On his medal card he has two Service Nos 1260 and 56515

From all this I assume that he may have ended up either with the Welsh Cyclist company (Divisional mounted troops of 53rd (Welsh) Division, who would have fought dismounted) or with 4th or 5th Btns Welsh Regt. All these units, I believe, followed 53 (Welsh) Div through Suvla Bay and the S Palestinian Campaign.

My question is, can anyone shed any light on precisely which was his second unit on the basis of his second number?

The Medal roll says

1260 Welch

then

16 Welch

4 Welch

Att No1 GPAEC

(There are Infantry Base Depot entries as well)

16th served in France. 

According to LLT 16 only served France. 4th in Gallipoli then Egypt. JWJ has no 1915 Star; so did not serve in a war zone prior to 1916 and so was not with 4th when it was at Gallipoli

Dear Mark

Thanks very much for your swift response. 

Wardan in his History of the Welch says that many of the cyclists were moved to 38 Div so that would explain 16 Welch. 4 & 5 Welsh were amalgamated at Suvla Bay on 8 Oct 15 because they had suffered so many casualties - I guess JWJ was transferred to 4 Welch / 53 Div in Egypt as a Battle Casualty Replacement after their mauling at Suvla Bay, in time for the upcoming Sinai and South Palestine campaign. 4 & 5 Welsh did not have separate identities again until 20 Feb 16 by which time reinforcements had built them back up to strength.

Not sure what No1 GAPEC stands for (pse excuse my ignorance). 

Many thanks for your help.

• Admin

1264/56512 Dudderidge enlisted in the 7th Cyclist on 1st February 1915 at Cardiff, aged 19.  He signed the Imperial Obligation on enlistment.  On 29 July 1916 he was posted to the BEF and embarked from Southampton on that date, arriving at 6 Infantry Base Depot at Rouen the following day.  He was posted on attachment to the 16th Battalion and was transferred and renumbered to that Battalion on the 1st September 1916.  His service record has survived he was posted missing on 27th August 1917.

It would appear Pte James followed a similar path.  It is likely he was repatriated to the UK wounded or sick on a date after the 1st September.  On recovery he would have been posted to the Depot and from there, once fit posted to an active service battalion overseas, in his case the 4th Battalion.

He is mentioned in a fragment of Part 2 Daily Orders on Find My Past (indexed as James W) which shows he was posted to the "Ex Force" from "furlo" 27/1/1917 it appears he was still on 16th Bn strength on that date, the entry is marked "L" Company (Fitness) Category A(iii) I believe this is most likely to be a Depot Company.  He was, therefore posted to Egypt and the 4th Battalion after that date.

Not sure about No1 G.P.A.E.C.but  an attachment to a home service Area Employment Company (Labour Corps) seems a possibility if wounded as above, problem is "No1 G.P." doesn't accord with what I know of the numbering of the Employment Companies.

Ken