Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Map location

Barney09

Hello can anyone help with a CWWG map locacation. 
My 2 cousin x 2 removed Percival Henry Clemes was a 2nd Lt in the 6th Kings own Cavalry. He died aged 19 on 02/12/1917. I am trying to find the location of where his body was found... Map 57c W.12.D.5.3. .....TIA

Try: http://www.tmapper.com/. Enter the data in the boxes on the left (57c.W.12.d.5.3) and you should get the location. I got it as a field about midway between Villers-Guislain and Heudicourt, and due south of Gouzeaucourt Cemetery, which makes sense.

As this is one of my first goes using this excellent system, I'd appreciate authentication from an expert.

Acknown

The map reference defines a square 50 yards by 50 yards, its lower left hand point in this case being W.12.d.5.3. As Bill's excellent tmapper shows, that is between Villers-Guislain and Heudicourt . This map fragment was updated to information received for 21st March 1918 so a little later than Dec 1917 but it is a secret edition so shows more that some other maps.

More on Great War map references here or here.

Howard

w12d53.jpg

• 1 month later...

Barney - I have a prismatic compass that was picked up off the battlefield by the reclamation people. It still has some of the label on it where they registered who picked it up, what it was and what date. On the compass, after close inspection it has the name P. Clemes on it. There is only one casualty of that name and indeed it is an officer - your Cousin. Amazing!