Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd King's Own Hussars?

GOW

This is reputedly a photo of my paternal grandfather.  The cap badge would appear to be that of the 3rd King's Own Hussars; is the uniform and other kit worn consistent with that assumption?

Thank you.

CCW.jpg

Well, he's wearing bandolier equipment and I think the puttees are done cavalry-style so gets my vote.

4 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Well, he's wearing bandolier equipment and I think the puttees are done cavalry-style so gets my vote.

I'm with you Steven, 3rd Hussars 

Chris

8 hours ago, GOW said:

This is reputedly a photo of my paternal grandfather.  The cap badge would appear to be that of the 3rd King's Own Hussars; is the uniform and other kit worn consistent with that assumption?

8 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

GOW - do you have reason to believe that your grandfather was in the 3rd King's Own Hussars, or is that based on the badge alone? If the latter, a close-up of the badge may help in that their badge is visually almost identical to the much more common West Yorkshire Regiment badge. The bandolier and knee-to-ankle wound puttees are unfortunately misleading in that they are not purely associated with cavalry regiments, and in fact the transport section of every regiment would normally be similarly attired:

Image result for west yorkshire regiment

Image result for 3rd hussars badge

4 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

GOW - do you have reason to believe that your grandfather was in the 3rd King's Own Hussars, or is that based on the badge alone? If the latter, a close-up of the badge may help in that their badge is visually almost identical to the much more common West Yorkshire Regiment badge. The bandolier and knee-to-ankle wound puttees are unfortunately misleading in that they are not purely associated with cavalry regiments, and in fact the transport section of every regiment would normally be similarly attired:

Image result for west yorkshire regiment

Image result for 3rd hussars badge

That is quite true Andrew, well pointed out, yes, he could well be transport section.

If we could have a name etc, might find something from there.

Chris

Edited by Dragoon

Many thanks for all your replies. Other than BMD dates and places, I know very little about my grandfather - and never met him. The photo was sent to me by a cousin (with the same grandfather) nearly 20 years ago.  My initial thought at the time was the WY Regt but the Regt HQ staff in York believed otherwise and referred to me to the Queen's Own Hussars Museum in Warwick which "confirmed" that the cap badge was that of the 3rd KO Hussars.  My gf was born in Bristol and worked in the South Wales collieries post-war, so I cannot see any obvious connection to either of the regiments in question. 

Next steps?

This looks like a group of signallers, so the items you mention are probably signalling lamps.

Ron

What's his name?

Acknown

1 hour ago, Ron Clifton said:

This looks like a group of signallers, so the items you mention are probably signalling lamps.

Ron

Unless you're an expert on Flog It, in which case they're headlamps for the horses.

I must say the cap badges look different to the 3H or W Yorks pattern.