Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Quick question on officer promotion

FrancesH

Isaac Usher left Sandhurst in May 1915 and joined the Royal Irish Regiment. At this point he was (obviously) a 2nd Lt. However, by the time he joined the 2nd Battalion in November, he had become a full lieutenant. He'd been with their reserve battalion up to then. What would have earned him a promotion?

It was not uncommon for second lieutenants to be promoted after about six months. It is possible that he may have been a little older than other officers of his unit, or that his progress at Sandhurst and subsequently justified a slightly accelerated promotion.

Ron

• Admin

As Ron says it was possible to be promoted to full lieutenant after 6 months but it certainly wasn't automatic as two officers of battalion commanding rank had to be provided as referees (at least in my great grandfather's case - sadly he wasn't successful even though 1 of them did recommend him, the other couldn't remember him).

Thank you for replying!

I was surprised because none of the other members of E Company whom I am tracking got promoted before joining their battalions, including Douglas Wimberley (later a general), who was the senior sergeant of E Company. Also Isaac was definitely not older than the average (born May 1896). I realise I probably won't get a definite answer to this small point, however!

Hi David, yes I have his service record, thank you. It sheds no light on this particular point, however. Isaac is a rather shadowy figure altogether so I shouldn't perhaps be surprised! 

usher.jpg