Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anyone identify the regiment in this photo?

crickhollow

I have recently compiled a short account of the life of John Sharpey-Schafer RN (1882-1918) who was onboard HMS Gaillardia when she sank with all hands in the North Sea (by a mine) whilst surveying the Great North Sea Mine Barrage. I came across this name on a WW1 memorial in Christ Church, Malacca where John  had been a rubber estate manager. His brother Thomas (killed at Loos in September 1915) served with the Northumberland Fusiliers.

Their father Edward Sharpey-Schafer (1850-1935) was a very distinguished professor of medicine at St Thomas' London and undertook some pioneering work on the functions of the endocrine glands. In his papers lodged with the Wellcome Collection is this photo:

image.png.a88a04b400bbf87d2362104377d62753.png

Is it possible to identify the regiment or other military background to this individual?  He must have meant something to the father.  I don't think it is his younger son Thomas Sydney Sharpey- Schafer who is shown in this photo when he joined the Northumberland Fusiliers in 1914- maybe someone else in this regiment?

uvDOw6JR5W6SDmq9t78cPH6nQUulZTCIoxd1nR2ENorgCpD_HUnfL0G-caYANlC5YpNc1lQf2DbVHrtUhu5UuKrpIbKA46qpCZdvSl34PdwicLZT8Vgt_uZdtl4YL9thf2X5Xy2l

My initial thought is 28th Battalion, The London regiment (Artists Rifles), but the badge is rather indistinct. He does have a Territorial Force 'T' on the collar lapel.

Miliraty Cross ribbon, too, I think.

On second viewing, not so sure about the MC

Edited by Steven Broomfield

28th was my thought too. Here are some for comparison. Interesting set of accoutrements the officer has including sword, water bottle, map case(?) and another fancy leather carrier.

artists-rifles-2_2893209b.jpg

• Admin

Another vote for Artists Rifles

Does he have one (I think both) South Africa medal(s)? It looks like an MC to me. My eyesight isn't good enough to make anything of the cap and collar badges.

RM

Is it his pal, Herbert Johann Scharlieb, (Herbert John Shirley from 1914)?   He served in the Boer War, and was C.O. of 1st Artists Rifles at some stage.

Artist’s Rifles 👍

49721C97-EA1E-4F6E-8A7F-2F6BF00227D6.jpeg

C840AB13-7C8D-48C9-BC17-B3DE552DA4D0.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 hours ago, IPT said:

Is it his pal, Herbert Johann Scharlieb, (Herbert John Shirley from 1914)?   He served in the Boer War, and was C.O. of 1st Artists Rifles at some stage.

I would say you have hit the nail on the head. If so then the first medal ribbon would be that of the Order of Saint Michael and Saint George.   Pete.

Edited by CorporalPunishment

Thanks guys- I think you are right: Artists Rifles (although hard to to identify!).  See below for identity of the actual officer.

image.png.59d53354b721619d54a4a59140b7f469.png

How interesting IPT that you found a connection with Herbert Johann Scharlieb!  ( another very interesting individual! )

His background certainly matches: https://livesonline.rcseng.ac.uk/client/en_GB/lives/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fSD_ASSET$002f0$002f376773/one?qu="rcs%3A+E004590"&rt=false|||IDENTIFIER|||Resource+Identifier

Details:

Herbert Johann Scharlieb, he changed his name by deed poll in 1914, was born at Madras on 22 July 1868, the younger son and second of the three children of William Mason Scharlieb (died 1891), barrister of the Middle Temple, and Mary Ann Dacomb Bird, his wife, afterwards Dame Mary Scharlieb (1845-1930) DBE, MD, MS London, gynaecologist to the Royal Free Hospital, for whom see the Dictionary of National Biography. He was educated at Lancing College and at University College, London. He qualified from University College Hospital in 1894, and took honours at the London BS examination in 1896. He served as house surgeon, house physician, and gynaecological assistant at University College Hospital, and as clinical assistant at the Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital. He then volunteered for the South African War, serving as physician and adjutant to Langman's Hospital with the South African Field Force. He was mentioned in despatches, and created CMG on his return to England.

His interest now turning to anaesthesia he carried out some valuable research on the physiological action of chloroform in collaboration with Edward Sharpey-Schafer (1850-1935) FRS. They concluded that vagal stimulation by too high a concentration of chloroform vapour caused inhibition of the heart, and that atropine given before the administration afforded protection; these conclusions were generally accepted; but later investigators suggested that ventricular fibrillation is the more probable cause of such sudden catastrophes. He then set up in practice in London as an anaesthetist, and was appointed to the staff of University College Hospital, becoming consulting anaesthetist when he retired in 1932.

He took a keen interest in the Territorial Army, serving in the 1st Artists Rifles, of which he was for a time colour-sergeant and later commanding officer. In fact his heart was more in soldiering than in medicine. In 1914, having changed his name from Scharlieb to Shirley, he served as a combatant in the British Expeditionary Force in France, was lieutenant-colonel in command 2/5 Lancashire Fusiliers, and was mentioned in despatches. He was invalided in 1916 and transferred to the RAMC, receiving the rank of lieutenant-colonel, RAMC on 21 July 1917. He was in command of the Military Hospital of Manoel at Malta, and was consulting anaesthetist to Malta Hospitals; later he became senior medical officer to a transport division of the Royal Army Service Corps. He retained at the same time his combatant rank of brevet colonel commanding the Artists Rifles. He had been awarded the Volunteer and Territorial Decorations, and was appointed a Deputy Lieutenant for the County of London.

After the war he resumed his practice as an anaesthetist, living at 19 York Terrace, Regent's Park, and later in a flat at 13 New Cavendish Street, W. His mother, who was still practising in her eighty-fifth year, died at his house in 1930. He was an active member of the British Medical Association, and served as secretary of the section of anaesthetics in 1910 and vice-president of the section of pharmacy and therapeutics with anaesthetics in 1936. Shirley married on 14 September 1899 Edith Mabel, daughter of Charles Tweedy of Redruth. He was survived by his only son, John, a commander in the Royal Navy. He died suddenly at 13 New Cavendish Street on 14 May 1943.

Publications: Action of chloroform on the heart and blood vessels, with E Sharpey-Schafer. J Physiol 1903, 28, xvii.