Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

researchingreg

Ribbon for 1914-1915 Star.

researchingreg

One of my great Uncles Pte George Frederick Fordham M2/114315 ASC has the ribbon missing from his 1914-15 star. How do I go about replacing the ribbon?129087519_1914-1915starforGFFordham.jpg.49be2e79aef05d3db3655e2a64806fd6.jpg

MaxD

Any number of businesses will come up on a Google search that do replacement medal ribbons. £2.50 on one site chosen at random.

Max

researchingreg

Max

Thanks for the reply I will try that

Geoff

mancpal

Geoff,

you may also find an original ribbon on one of the auction sites which while more costly would be my preference, recently acquired a BWM ribbon in an antique shop for £1 so that may be another source,

good luck,

Simon

researchingreg

Simon

Thanks for the info. I have taken Max's advice and ordered a new ribbon on e-bay, however I will look on one of the auction sites for an original ribbon. Are the auction sites easy to find?

mancpal

eBay springs to mind, original ribbons do crop up

Simon

Edited by mancpal

researchingreg

I have now got a medal ribbon for my Great Uncle Pte George Frederick Fordham's 1914-15 Star. How do you attach it to the medal? It seems it has to be tapered where it is connected to the medal. There must be a knack.

Geoff

depaor01

Roll the ribbon into a tube lengthways. Insert through the loop. Bring the two edges of the cut ribbon together at the top and a small adjustment around the loop will give the desired tapered shape.

Dave

Edited by depaor01

researchingreg
3 hours ago, depaor01 said:

Roll the ribbon into a tube lengthways. Insert through the loop. Bring the two edges of the cut ribbon together at the top and a small adjustment around the loop will give the desired tapered shape.

Dave

depaor01

Thanks for the information I will try that. Is there any particular length of ribbon?

Geoff

depaor01

There is an official length (which I can't recall) for mounted medals, but for single ribbons it's not important. Personal taste really.

Dave

peregrinvs
20 hours ago, depaor01 said:

A nicely timed post - I have a set of WWII British campaign stars that need attaching to ribbons and I’d been wondering what the knack was. Thanks 🙏 

depaor01
36 minutes ago, peregrinvs said:

A nicely timed post - I have a set of WWII British campaign stars that need attaching to ribbons and I’d been wondering what the knack was. Thanks 🙏 

You're very welcome!

Dave

Lawryleslie

Original WW1 Medal ribbons were made of silk and really make the medals so much more pleasing to the eye. You can still get the silk ribbons but at a greater cost obviously but well worth it. I replaced my Grandfathers WW1 Medal ribbons with authentic silk and though they cost much more than the cheaper polyester it was well worth it.