Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Abbassia, Egypt

Peter Moore

714085368_WilliamBristowStearnEgypt.jpg.13b899f92b8c0a5e440e65151c218af4.jpg

Dear All, 

I am hoping to identify the corps that my Grandfather served in. I have two pictures one of which has him with his unit in Abbassia, Egypt 28 Mar 1916, back row second from the right. 474658766_WilliamBStearnb1895!stWorldWarEgypt.jpg.d9b2d75aea614e736d08369ca9aa2564.jpgHis name is William Bristow Stearn born 1895 and lived in Berkshire. Many thanks everyone.

• Admin

Not very easy to make out, possibly Royal Engineers? 

Looks a bit small to me for RE.

Abassia was the location of the cavalry barracks, outside Cairo, if that has any relevance.

Hello, welcome to the forum,

I zoomed in on the badge and thought Army Veterinary Corps, there is  MIC for a William Stearn AVC number SE/12396, and it'll explain spurs and Cavalry barracks.

Hope this helps 

Chris 

0abteyet5664102.jpg

Edited by Dragoon

Thankyou everyone, the badge shape looks good for RE and RVC and Abbassia being a Cavalry barracks points to a possible veterinary connection. The family business was in haulage so horses would have been involved but I never heard of a veterinary connection before.

Would a soldier from Berkshire end up in the Northumberland Fusiliers?

He was wounded in the arm later on in the war and invalided back to England and spent a long time in the Royal Berkshire Hospital. He obviously didn`t talk about it!!

Hello,

I don't think it is RE's, wrong shape and size.

If the AVC chap is your William Stearn then he could have been drafted into the NF, at that time it didn't matter where a chap came from it was a case of needs must.

What might be a good idea is to post about William on the 'soldiers' part of the forum, tag this thread to it and give as much detail as you can, you might come up trump's.

Cheers. 

Chris