Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Burial at Guillemont Road Cemetery 20 March 2019

Franksy

It was a great honour to be present at the burial service of two unknown soldiers, one was from the Connaught Rangers and the other from an unknown regiment, at Guillemont Road Cemetery yesterday, 20 March 2019. .....

IMG_2714 2.jpeg

IMG_2688.jpg

IMG_2696.jpg

IMG_2687.jpg

A beautiful cemetery in beautiful location, so different to how it looked a century ago.

My sister in law's great uncle is buried there, and his brother at Euston Road.

Thanks for the photos Franksy; like Dai Guillemont Road is a favourite of mine too. One of mine, Frank Boundy is buried there having come all the way from Valparaiso in Chile to join up. I've never been to the Somme in the spring, the view up to Longueval looks very different to how I normally picture it.

Pete.

Good one Franksy.  Thank you.

It was very moving - Cath and I attended also.  Unfortunately, I forgot to take the camera or tablet and had to rely on my old cheapo phone for photos.  So it's good to see some quality photos and I'm glad I didn't get in the way.  Another beautiful day again today.  Will be sorry to return to the UK!

Reg

• Admin

I attended the funeral of the Leicester soldiers at St Mary's ADS a few years back. The bodies were already in the graves and the service held over them. I wonder why the difference in the style of services? Is it because Loos is considered a backwater and not important? 

Just out of interest where were the two lads found? I wonder if we could find out any background.

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls
Superfluous question mark

12 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Just out of interest where were the two lads found? I wonder if we could find out any background.

Pete.

Pete.

According to the booklet prepared for the Service: "The remains of this unknown soldier of The Connaught Rangers and this unknown soldier of an unknown regiment were discovered on the outskirts of Guillemont during work on a wind turbine project.  Research suggests this Connaught Ranger was most likely a member of 6th Battalion who attacked the village during the Battle of Guillemont in September 1916.  Unfortunately, there are still too many Connaught Rangers missing in this area from the battle to identify this man.  No artefacts were found with the other casualty to suggest which regiment he belonged to,  They will therefore be buried today as an unknown soldier of the Connaught Rangers and an unknown soldier of an unknown regiment."

Reg

On 21/03/2019 at 11:51, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

A beautiful cemetery in beautiful location, so different to how it looked a century ago.

My sister in law's great uncle is buried there, and his brother at Euston Road.

Dai Bach.

We will probably be there again tomorrow to take photographs.  If you want one of your sister in law's great uncle's headstone, please let us have the details.of his name and if you know the plot number.

Reg

43 minutes ago, Don Regiano said:

Dai Bach.

We will probably be there again tomorrow to take photographs.  If you want one of your sister in law's great uncle's headstone, please let us have the details.of his name and if you know the plot number.

Reg

Thanks for the offer Reg,

But I got the photos of their graves a couple of years back.

Nice to see an invite & attendance by an officer of the Irish Defence forces.

thanks for posting the pictures

Edited by Jervis

Those boys will be in good company.

D2B3FCCE-C095-41E9-A6F4-36E2FC34DCC5.png

1129B22E-8CE8-4D6E-98BF-D5E8815FA86D.png

16BF4E21-1566-47F4-8968-2C1B31BFA123.png

2283C6A4-3242-4841-A9D8-2978D0440A52.png

5 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

Pete.

According to the booklet prepared for the Service: "The remains of this unknown soldier of The Connaught Rangers and this unknown soldier of an unknown regiment were discovered on the outskirts of Guillemont during work on a wind turbine project.  Research suggests this Connaught Ranger was most likely a member of 6th Battalion who attacked the village during the Battle of Guillemont in September 1916.  Unfortunately, there are still too many Connaught Rangers missing in this area from the battle to identify this man.  No artefacts were found with the other casualty to suggest which regiment he belonged to,  They will therefore be buried today as an unknown soldier of the Connaught Rangers and an unknown soldier of an unknown regiment."

Reg

Thanks Reg, and thanks too to Ghazala for the photos; three of my favourite inscriptions.

Pete.