Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lewis Jacques MC and Bar 10th Sherwood Foresters

Fritzthecat

Hi

I'm wondering if anyone has any information about my Great Grandfather Lewis Jacques. I have seen the medal citations and some other bits about his service history online but that's about it.

Lewis Jacques was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant on 24 January 1915. He entered the France/Flanders theatre of war on 2 October 1915 and joined the 10th Battalion at Hooge on 4 December 1915. Promoted to Lieutenant on 1 July 1917. After a period of time in England on sick leave, May-November 1917, Jacques returned to his battalion in France. With them he won the the M.C. for his bravery and leadership during the retreat from Hermies, April 1918. Later, as a Temporary Captain he was awarded a Bar to his M.C. for his conspicuous gallantry and leadership during a successful attack on 18 September 1918. Promoted to Captain and O.C. of ‘D’ Company in December 1918. Later with the 2nd Battalion he served in Egypt and Turkey. He retired with the rank of Captain on 5 September 1922. During the Second World War he served as a Recruiting Officer. He died in 1957.

I was hoping to search the battalion diary but can't read the writing very easily. The regimental museum has his battle dress cap in their archive which I saw about ten years ago and his medals were sold by my granny's sister at some point.

Ed

Hi Ed,

According to the NA he was awarded the MC for deeds on 21 March 1918 and 18 August 1918, not as you mention.

Curiously the WD for the latter date says,

Vecquenmont:- marched at 10pm from Vecquemont to Herissart.

Not much going on before that, either

Regards,

Graeme

mc card.jpg

1 mc.jpg

2 mc.jpg

Edited by GraemeClarke

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Was just talking to my mother about your G Grandfather.  My Grandfather was batman to a Captain Jacques in WW1.  Name James Tibbert.  My Mum has a photo of the Rolls Royce hockey team from around 1920 with Jacques the goalkeeper.   Is this your Great Grandfather??

Ed,

I have an 'L Jacques' serving in 21st Bn Royal Fusiliers (No 3 Company) in 1914 having enlisted shortly before 21 September 1914 in Derby - he played football for his company.  I have no records of him going overseas with the Bn in Nov 1915 which is consistent with a earlier gazette from the ranks.

No obvious officer file for him; presumably his officer file is still with the MoD.

Many thanks for the information above.  I'm not sure if he's mentioned in letters by Vera Brittain's brother Edward or Geoffrey Thurlow, who served in the same battalion, if memory serves; these letters were published in 'Letters of a Lost Generation'.

Kind regards

Colin

Edited by Colin W Taylor

• 2 months later...
On 13/05/2019 at 17:11, John Kelly said:

Was just talking to my mother about your G Grandfather.  My Grandfather was batman to a Captain Jacques in WW1.  Name James Tibbert.  My Mum has a photo of the Rolls Royce hockey team from around 1920 with Jacques the goalkeeper.   Is this your Great Grandfather??

Hi John

Many thanks for getting in touch, very much appreciated

I don’t actually know if he played hockey for the Rolls Royce team but he played a lot of sport by all accounts, so I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it was him. I think there may have been another Jacques in the Regiment who was an officer but I’m not sure if he was from Derby. My Great Grandmothers family we’re from Derby and my GG taught sport at a Derby school, so he would have been in the area. If you have an image of the photo I could certainly say if it was him or not. 

Best regards

Edward

On 13/05/2019 at 22:00, Colin W Taylor said:

Ed,

I have an 'L Jacques' serving in 21st Bn Royal Fusiliers (No 3 Company) in 1914 having enlisted shortly before 21 September 1914 in Derby - he played football for his company.  I have no records of him going overseas with the Bn in Nov 1915 which is consistent with a earlier gazette from the ranks.

No obvious officer file for him; presumably his officer file is still with the MoD.

Many thanks for the information above.  I'm not sure if he's mentioned in letters by Vera Brittain's brother Edward or Geoffrey Thurlow, who served in the same battalion, if memory serves; these letters were published in 'Letters of a Lost Generation'.

Kind regards

Colin

Hi Colin

Many thanks for the information, very much appreciated. I have looked and there is a minor mention of a Jacques by Thurlow, which I found quite exciting.

All the best 

Edward

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/07/2019 at 21:31, Fritzthecat said:

Hi Colin

Many thanks for the information, very much appreciated. I have looked and there is a minor mention of a Jacques by Thurlow, which I found quite exciting.

All the best 

Edward

Re Sherwood Foresters, Captain Lewis Jacques retired on 5th September 1922. During the Second World War he served as a Recruiting Officer. He died in 1957. A card forwarding box for his W.W.2 medals was addressed to Capt. L. Jacques, The Manor House, Riber, Matlock, Derbyshire. 

Edited by BRONNO