Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help identifying Regiment and sleeve badge

Stoner2840

Could anyone help in identifying the gentleman on the right of this pictures Regiment from cap badge and uniform? Also the Bugle/Powder Horn on the sleeve badge? my first thoughts on Regiment were Royal Engineers or possibly ASC but his family are convinced he was in a cavalry Regt and have a scrap of paper which may support this, I might be able to post a pic. Could it be Household Cavalry/Life Guards? His name is Lewis Henry Juchua which you think would make him easy to find but I can only find him after the war.

Many thanks

54200838_2159077580804992_7674516863237226496_n.jpg

The men on left and right appear to be Royal Engineers. Cap Badge certainly looks like it. The one in the middle I cannot make out but not RE.

it is Juchau rather than Juchua isn’t it?

Born 1899 so may not have served overseas before 11/11/18. Another possibility is due to his German sounding surname he served under an alias despite the presence of his real name in the picture

Edited by Mark1959

• Admin

Could the man in the middle be Royal Sussex? 

The man on the left looks to be Royal Engineers, the centre man Royal Sussex Regiment. The man on the right is wearing the double bugle arm badge of a bugler of a rifle regiment and his cap badge is of Rifle Brigade pattern so it appears to rule out cavalry.    Pete.

Michelle and Pete cracked it with Royal Sussex at centre, and I agree RE left and a Rifle Brigade bugler right.

F3BEA9A2-750F-4122-9146-423A08721B47.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Having a Fagin moment and reviewing the situation, I am now wondering if the lads on left and right might possibly both be 10th. London Regiment (Paddington Rifles). That would date the photo 1908-1912. They could be wearing the version of the Paddington Rifles cap badge with the voided centre and those shoulder titles look like TF as well. Just a thought.   Pete.

30 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Having a Fagin moment and reviewing the situation, I am now wondering if the lads on left and right might possibly both be 10th. London Regiment (Paddington Rifles). That would date the photo 1908-1912. They could be wearing the version of the Paddington Rifles cap badge with the voided centre and those shoulder titles look like TF as well. Just a thought.   Pete.

Possible, although the voiding in the photo seems smaller in scale.

F736D4D5-588E-44E3-A0B6-C689DD4D54FC.jpeg

The bugles on greatcoat are of some interest ................ no badges except of rank were permitted on the greatcoat. Not even appointment, not even a VC ribbon.

And of course the badge is on the wrong sleeve.

A nice curio.

13 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

The bugles on greatcoat are of some interest ................ no badges except of rank were permitted on the greatcoat. Not even appointment, not even a VC ribbon.

And of course the badge is on the wrong sleeve.

A nice curio.

Indeed, and a lesser adherence to (or knowledge of) regulation also suggests TF.

Thanks for all the replies, have got two more pictures may help throw some light on the matter, front and rear of a quite badly damaged photo, the back of which seems to read

Bottom row 2nd from left? <=== Which is the position of the soldier in question, Lewis Henry Jachau, as Mark1599 pointed out, Thank you

House hold?

Cavalry? 

Squadron 162

RE SIGN

could this be "Royal Engineers Signals"? attached to Household Cav either at Brigade or Divisional level? and if so would that influence the bugle badge in any way?

Many thanks

54525983_327925327861300_1995242562188738560_n 1.jpg

53456687_637765593335788_2936956649128067072_n 1.jpg

Suggests perhaps RE ‘Signals Service’ (SIGN?) in support of Household Cavalry Regiment infantry battalion.  The ‘Squadron’ annotation puzzles me, unless there was a composite sub-unit formed by the Life Guards and Royal Horse Guards during the Cologne area occupation of 1919.

RE had Trumpeters, rather than buglers and traditionally the badge for Trumpeters was different to that for Buglers.

22BF04B5-CD8C-4FE2-BD48-6F683276CF9C.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

The RE "trumpeters not buglers" rang a distant and old alarm bell, and I have scratched the itch. There were indeed a few buglers as such RE.

In the 1913 Pay Warrant they are paid 1/2- Regimental Pay, exactly the same as trumpeters RE and [a bit surprising to me*] the same as sappers, pioneers, drivers and bandsmen RE. 

The 1914 War Estabs make it clear that Buglers were for Dismounted Branch Field Companies, one for each.

As to what badge was worn, probably but not certainly a single bugle.

A group photo would be nice.

* additional "Engineer Pay" did of course provide differentials.

That’s interesting Muerrisch, and does not surprise me that much.  The RE were after all a primarily dismounted corps.

I know of none but rifle and rifle volunteer units to wear the double bugle badge at that time.  Ergo I think that any RE bugler would likely have worn the conventional bugler badge.

Edited by FROGSMILE