Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th (City of London) Battalion (Royal Fusiliers)

Andy Gibbons

I’m researching my grandather’s time in the army during WW1 and have copies of his Silver War badge and British War medal. He was in the army from 31 May 1915 to 10 Jan 1917 and from his medal records he was on the Western Front from 2nd Feb 1916 to 18th Aug 1916. I know from my father that he was wounded (I remember his scars and the jar of shrapnel that had been taken out of him that he used to keep) so I’m trying to piece together the story. 

I think that the 4th City of London fought at Gommecourt so it’s likley that he was wounded in this battle. I’m looking for conformation of where the 4th Londons fought, information on the battle and how I might be able to find which company he was in. I’m finding a lot of information on the various websites a little confusing, partcualy with rages to battalion nomenclature. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

Andy, 

The 4th Londons were part of the 168th Brigade, 56th Division. (Don't be confused with the 4th Battalion Royal Fusiliers, they were a separate unit altogether). Your best bet is to start with the war history of the battalion - you can find it here... https://archive.org/details/warhistoryof4thb00grim/page/n8 It's a much more concise record of their movements and easier to pick out the 'headlines' than the war diary, which you may then gravitate towards for more detail once you know the basics. 

My great grandfather was with the same unit at much the same time. 

Regards, Tom.

Edited by LEUZEWOOD

• 4 weeks later...

Capt. Grimwade’s history is of course excellent. 

I’m currently reading Pro Patria Mori which is also an excellent account of the actions on 1st July 1916 around the Gommecourt Salient.