Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LSE LECTURE, 18th March 2019/JAY WINTER- SILENCES OF THE GREAT WAR

Despite being an LSE graduate, I seem to wander round the place with my eyes shut.  There is a free public lecture, with(usually) some Q and As afterwards at the Old Theatre, LSE, Houghton Street WC" on 18th March at 6.30pm.  Nearest Tube is Holborn

Silence itself is a language of memory. Jay Winter explores the dialectic between silence and sound in the auditory history of the Great War.

Jay Winter is Charles J Stille Professor of History Emeritus, Yale University.

Robin Archer is Director of the Ralph Miliband Programme at LSE.

Edited by Guest

"dialectic between silence and sound in the auditory history of the Great War".

There's nothing like simplicity and clarity in attracting an audience. Anyone got an idea what is actually about? 

Well, I was there and my brain is still hurting. It was tougher than Saturday's Times Jumbo Crossword (and that was a stinker).  In essence (I think) it was a sideways view of the war as per the historical record-that we are inundated by what was said ( either oral or written) but the various types of silence are telling. The main ones being silence because we don't know ( that is, a sideswipe at the manipulation of the historical record by successive governments) and the "essentalist silence"- that only those involved had any "right" to speak about the war-all others must be silent. Of course, he ventured views on the silence of survivors being unwilling to speak- a self-imposed silence. It was very polemical and  spiky but a change from the norm. At least I stayed awake.

I suppose he was in effect commenting on the instant History we have nowadays with all our digital media- instant image,instant sound, instant multiple items,etc. And when one looks back at the Great War and rues WHY those  "instant" types of History were not there, then the reasons for the gaps in the "History" of the Great War become a little more telling

So, as it is now mandatory to say, a load of old cobblers then? Like most things which incorporate existentialist in their promotion?