Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

‘C’ Coy. 2nd Bn Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) War Diary for 25 June 1917

TonyR

Hi all, just wondering if some kind soul might have the war diary and be able to tell me exactly where my cousin Joseph Rooney met his end.  His details are:

From CWGC - A/7775, "C" Coy. 2nd Bn., Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) who died on 25 June 1917, age 22, Son of Michael and Bridget Rooney of 25 Forge St, Townhead, Glasgow, buried in Belgian Battery Corner Cemetery.  I also have the ‘Commemoration Cert’ and headstone papers from CWGC.

His ‘effects’ page names him as Joseph with his mother named as Bridget, plus the date & place of death as 25/6/1917, Ypres in action.

His medal card has the initial ‘J’ appended in blue ink with ‘oseph’ to read Joseph

His Uncle John Rooney (brother of Michael, Joseph’s father) was billeted at Broxeelle with the 7th/8th Royal Irish Fusiliers when Joseph died. The 7th/8th were en route to the Tilques South Training Area, so not very far away.   Does anyone think that Army communications may have been so good, that his Uncle would have been aware of Joseph’s death at the time (or shortly after through a grapevine) or would Army protocol mean that Uncle would have to wait for the news to arrive from Joseph’s family back home?  I'm not expecting a full break-down of any battle Joseph may have been involved in, just the basics of where he was.  Any information will be gratefully received.  Thanks, TonyR.

Edited by TonyR

• Admin

I have had a squint through the TNA watermarked version and as best as I can make out it reads as follows for the 25th June 1917 (no guarantees!)

"ESPLANADE was heavily shelled during the morning by 8" Howitzers.

CAPTAIN W F HARTER (not sure of spelling)  and 5 other ranks were wounded and 1 other rank was killed. Draft of 67 (again uncertain of number) joined from base (not sure of last two words)."

Hope that may be of help

Regards

David

• Admin
1 minute ago, GraemeClarke said:

Hi

Im reading the draft as 20 other ranks.

Regards,

Graeme

You may well be right I wasn't certain if it was a 6 or 0.

Haven't been able to find an officer service file for that name and regiment but it is possible he served later.

Hello Lads, what page of the TNA are you looking at - didn't think of trying to squint through the watermark, although I squint at everything else!  TonyR

Hi folks - it reads:

"ESPLANADE was heavily shelled throughout the morning by 8” Hows.  CAPTAIN W.F. CHARTER & 5 other ranks were wounded & 1 other rank was killed.  Draft of 20 other ranks joined from Base."

Well 'squinted' :)

• Admin

Cheers Barrie

Tony, Firstly go full screen then the easiest way is to scroll through to the end, then work your way back using portrait orientated pages as month markers. Once you find the July 1917 title page the 25th June is two pages to the left bottom of the page. Then use the zoom in function.

Just missing the Ancestry version.

David

Got it, page 261.  Thanks, David, Barrie & Graeme, wish I had thought of that before but it never crossed my mind.  Thanks again.  Regards, TonyR.