Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tartan patches on head dress...when?

o j kirby

Hello,

I have realised that in a gap to my knowledge. I really don't know when the Regimental tartan patch appeared behind the cap badge after the introduction of the Balmoral and then the Tam O' Shanter bonnet. Is there any existing documentation as to when this was introduced, or was it a process of evolution? Does anyone have any early dated photos that might offer a piece of documentary evidence?

Cheers,

Owain.

42 minutes ago, o j kirby said:

Hello,

I have realised that in a gap to my knowledge. I really don't know when the Regimental tartan patch appeared behind the cap badge after the introduction of the Balmoral and then the Tam O' Shanter bonnet. Is there any existing documentation as to when this was introduced, or was it a process of evolution? Does anyone have any early dated photos that might offer a piece of documentary evidence?

Cheers,

Owain.

It was more a process of evolution Owain, starting sometime in 1916, along with all the plethora of ‘battle patches’ showing unit and formation that lasted then until the end of the war.  The changes do not seem to have all occurred at the same time regimentally, and depended on the policy in various battalions/regiments and the Brigade and Division within which they were placed.

Edited by FROGSMILE