Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Advice request cap badge cleaning

yperman

Good morning,

I am not a cap badge collector as such but I have bought examples of badges worn by various family members in the Great War. None are rare or valuable as such. They are starting to need cleaning. and I was hoping a member might offer advice please. I thought Brasso?

On 18/03/2019 at 08:16, yperman said:

Good morning,

I am not a cap badge collector as such but I have bought examples of badges worn by various family members in the Great War. None are rare or valuable as such. They are starting to need cleaning. and I was hoping a member might offer advice please. I thought Brasso?

The trouble with Brasso is that it is an abrasive substance.  You are better off soaking the badges in something to gradually clean them overnight.  There are various things you can use.  A thick solution of Fairy Liquid and water. Bicarbonate of soda solution.  Coca Cola, even vinegar.  Then rinse, dry and polish with a soft cloth.

Edited by FROGSMILE

White vinegar is good but don’t leave them in it for too long.

Silvo is less abrasive than Brasso and Peek is even less so than Silvo. 

As  Frogsmile says wash all the cleaning agent off and buff with a soft cloth.

Edited by squirrel

I am reminded of the advice on cleaning rifles:

"Treat your rifle as you would treat your wife. Keep it clean, bright and slightly oiled."

Ron

Thank you all very much for your advice. Yperman

Coming late to this, it rather depends on whether one has an eye to eventual resale of badges. There is no doubt surely that the soldier valued a highly polished badge with the roughest edges and corners slightly abraded, in that such was more likely to pass inspection. There are accounts of young soldiers buying the very smooth badges from retiring or demobbed old soldiers. i have in front of me two RAF WWII cap badges. One is virtually mint, one has seen a fair bit of Brasso or equivalent. The latter is, to my eyes, more attractive.

One thorough clean with Brasso, and a thorough wash and buff, put the glittering badge in a sealed environment and it will connect with a soldiers spiritual ethos. My complete Great War regular infantry 1914 cap and shoulder title collection was treated thus, its resale value greatly diminished, and its pleasure to me enhanced. I shall not be selling.

20 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

Coming late to this, it rather depends on whether one has an eye to eventual resale of badges. There is no doubt surely that the soldier valued a highly polished badge with the roughest edges and corners slightly abraded, in that such was more likely to pass inspection. There are accounts of young soldiers buying the very smooth badges from retiring or demobbed old soldiers. i have in front of me two RAF WWII cap badges. One is virtually mint, one has seen a fair bit of Brasso or equivalent. The latter is, to my eyes, more attractive.

One thorough clean with Brasso, and a thorough wash and buff, put the glittering badge in a sealed environment and it will connect with a soldiers spiritual ethos. My complete Great War regular infantry 1914 cap and shoulder title collection was treated thus, its resale value greatly diminished, and its pleasure to me enhanced. I shall not be selling.

Like you I don't plan to resell. What happens if I just let them get grubby? I have them in little box frames from Wilkos at the moment against a green card background. Thanks for the help!

5 minutes ago, yperman said:

Like you I don't plan to resell. What happens if I just let them get grubby? I have them in little box frames from Wilkos at the moment against a green card background. Thanks for the help!

I personally quite like things cleaned, but when I buy something new, if it's had a century of polishing I carry on with a yearly buff up, and if it has very limited value anyway no harm in getting it to look how you like it. I do however treat higher value items with a little more caution, my boer war bugle is black through years of neglect and I would never consider anything other than a dust over as the patina just adds to it.

Dave.

Thank you Dave666 I think I will just leave them.

I have two RAF badges circa WW2 that came from my father in laws estate, although “new” they appear to have had the high spots machined off, presumably to make them shine when polished.