Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Albert Ambrose Fensome

maudson

I have asked for a lot of assistance recently so quite understand if people feel they have done enough.

I am trying to write all the lives of men on Ringstead (Northamptonshire) Roll of Honour. I am researching Albert Ambrose Fensome born 1883 in Ringstead. He was in 4 Battalions: 5th Northamptons (39554), 4th and 7th Bedfords (41257) and 2/5th Gloucesters (51061). He was wounded while with one of Bedfordshire Battalions (May 9th 1918 Daily List).  He was with the 7th Beds in Absent Voters List of 1918 and was in the 2/5th Gloucesters in the Ringstead Roll of Honour (published 1919). He was not entitled to the 1914 or 1914/1915 Stars.

Finally there is another A.A. Fensome who was wounded (20th November 1917) while with the Bedfordshires (Reg. No. 33754) who may be another A. A. Fensome who worked in Rushden (about 5 miles away from Ringstead) and possibly was the one who went to local Military Tribunal 01/04/1917 from a Rushden Boot & Shoe Company.

Apologies for all this but I wondered if anyone with much better knowledge of Regimental Numbers than me could give some more accurate dating for his enlistment and transfers so I make a better account of his war service. I realise it is a long shot. I am grateful for any help or suggestions.

David

Northamptonshire Regiment No. 39554 will be mid-July 1917; the Bedfordshire Regiment No. 41257 is part of a group transfer from Northamptons to Bedfords upon arrival at 17th Infantry Base Depot in France in early-November 1917; Gloucestershire Regiment I don't know.

Steve.

The 1911 census has an Ambrose married to Charlotte. Born Ringstead. 27. Profession given as “Army Welt Sewing”. Probably consistent with the tribunal.

Many thanks again Steve. This helps me see what actions he might have been involved in.

Thanks also Mark about the 1911 Census. I was aware about him - and his job - and Charlotte (she is actually his mother which is why her marriage details crossed out) but I still think the tribunal may be for another man living in Rushden. Annoyingly it does not give his Place of Residence. I am trying to work out a way of proving one way or other. I think I need to investigate the other man more.

David

Thanks Mark. I am grateful that you replied. It also made me look at it again and realise that I had to investigate the other man to see if can prove which is which.

David

Edited by maudson
repetition