Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What is this item please

Guest Ricard 51

Guest Ricard 51

Here is something for our learned experts to ponder. Found at Courcelette and made of brass approx 7.5cms in length, 2.5cms width at the widest end and about 6mms at the thin end. 3mm thick at rivetted end which bore fabric traces between the rivets.There are numbers and letters 250 then the crown stamp then 30 then 3 EFD. Between the numerals 250 and 30 is the  crown with E 92 below. The crown to me looks german and the broad arrow does not look british. Of course if l am mistaken then l accept a minus housepoint!. It would simply be good to learn the origin and purpose of this item. I will hopefully supply a photo 'ere long but malheuresment  my  technical advisor is in england avec family at the moment!!. Many thanks , Bonsoir.

Guest Ricard 51
24 minutes ago, 303man said:

Thank you sir.... that could account for the fabric traces. The broad arrow mark was not sharp and angular as is normally seen and the two side bars are more gently curved upwards at the ends.l will now search tinternet for images of said tabs. Again my thanks to you for your help. I do know that you are well versed in smellie matters!!.

Guest Ricard 51

303 man.... you are  totally correct. Have just viewed images on a vickers forum. Of course it's blindingly obvous to me now...250 rounds of .303 cal. The last figure 3 on my found tab was quite widely spaced when stamped leading me to read 3EFD ... in fact it is just FD. A british crown as well.  Oddly enough l found the tab very close to a fair number of unlinked .303 and a few german rounds. All safely  de-headed and disposed of now. Many thanks.Bonsoir.

Guest Ricard 51

Oui c'est ça.... exactly the same but in rather better form as luck would have it. Do you see how l thought initially that the crown looked a little like the german crown and also l have not seen the WD broad arrow with upturned edges before. Had another lookaround the edge of the bank and found a douille (shellcase) brass metal the diameter of a tea plate and about 15 cms deep in excellent condition. Alas no more end tabs. I thankyou very much for taking the time to respond Dan. Bonsoir.