Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Hell They Called High Wood

Flt32

I have just finished this incredible book. I know it’s been discussed on the forum before, but has anyone managed to enter High Wood ?? (Preferably not illegally!). Fully respect and also rather prefer the security that being a private property gives it, but just wondered if anyone has managed to gain entrance to the wood via the owner and their experience inside it.

I walked around the outside on a scorching day last summer, and the place was intensely peaceful and beautiful. I traced a few areas around crucifix corner but planning a re-visit as soon as humanly possible. 

Would love to hear any experiences of the wood and surroundings 

Guest Ricard 51

Yes indeed,an excellent book. Thank you for your understanding and respect for the fact that the wood is totally private property and the family rightly wish to keep it that way. Over the years many how you say... n'er do wells have tried to gain entry and have unsurprisingly then met the gendarmerie!. During the season of the chasse the wood is shot by a syndicate of chasseurs who pay for the shooting rights. Another reason to stay away l think. I have shot there for years and yes, it is very atmospheric, not only because of the beauty that  any wood has but because of the history that Bois de Forcaux is steeped in.

18 minutes ago, Flt32 said:

I popped in behind the fence to view the mine crater last year.  A quick in and out and I never saw anyone.

062CAEB3-C1FB-426C-97CB-4221D715F75F.jpeg

8E7DA65E-11A7-4A55-A42E-7FCAD71824AB.jpeg

EF00830A-5D9D-484E-B194-DB6D79833A9A.jpeg

B30E4ACE-A834-4832-A672-27BC1C0C7EF1.jpeg

B2DDA391-F88E-4F61-AC9E-05C493ACFD1C.jpeg

From 2nd Lt Brook                        3.50pm

For O.C. B Co                               13th September 1916

6th NF                                           2nd Objective

Message just to hand

The remnants of the company under me in this trench number about 10 with 1 Lewis gun.

I am the only officer in the 2nd objective. Am in touch with the 5th Durhams on the left, but cannot get in touch with troops on right, am protecting that flank with Lewis gun.

My company commander was seriously hit at the same time as I ????? a severe clump on the head which has, I am sorry to say, made me feel very queer.

Have endeavoured to get in touch with 7th NF but failed.

The trench has been shelled heavily all afternoon and is in parts full of dead and wounded.

Please instruct further

B Blythe Brook

Reply written below

Hold on

Thank you both. And thank you for the photos. Would certainly be an experience to be able to walk through it. A shame the tank inside was eventually dismantled also. I presume the mine crater right by the fence? 

8 hours ago, Ghazala said:

From 2nd Lt Brook                        3.50pm

For O.C. B Co                               13th September 1916

6th NF                                           2nd Objective

Message just to hand

The remnants of the company under me in this trench number about 10 with 1 Lewis gun.

I am the only officer in the 2nd objective. Am in touch with the 5th Durhams on the left, but cannot get in touch with troops on right, am protecting that flank with Lewis gun.

My company commander was seriously hit at the same time as I ????? a severe clump on the head which has, I am sorry to say, made me feel very queer.

Have endeavoured to get in touch with 7th NF but failed.

The trench has been shelled heavily all afternoon and is in parts full of dead and wounded.

Please instruct further

B Blythe Brook

Reply written below

Hold on

I haven’t seen this before Ghazala, where did you find it? 

8 hours ago, Flt32 said:

Thank you both. And thank you for the photos. Would certainly be an experience to be able to walk through it. A shame the tank inside was eventually dismantled also. I presume the mine crater right by the fence? 

The mine crater is by the side of the track on the north east side of the wood and right next to a memorial (Black Watch and ? Cameronians); and there is a small access path to it from there. That should not cause an issue; on the other hand, as pointed out, the Wood is private property (not that, so I am told, there is all that much to see). You can walk all around the perimeter, of course, and that provides a clear idea of its significance in the wider landscape of the battlefield.

Also the Highland Cairn opposite London Cemetery.  I sometimes sit on the front portion of this cemetery in my garden chair reading ‘The Hell called High Wood’.  

B7E8C23A-4F44-4D39-9FD3-618CAE1CA2E3.png

21 hours ago, Flt32 said:

I haven’t seen this before Ghazala, where did you find it? 

From 1/6 NF war diary:

image.png.2ccdf6ab5d31314fe57c856f02f25c39.png

• 1 year later...

Hello all,

Late addition to this thread, but interested to know if you did manage to get back to High Wood?  I was there this July and there has been some considerable cut-back of the edge of the wood on the NE side.  I've visited the wood many times, and never saw so far into it before.  

IMG_2915.jpg

IMG_2916.jpg

IMG_2918.jpg

IMG_2921.jpg

IMG_2922.jpg

IMG_2923.jpg

IMG_2925.jpg

On 19/03/2019 at 14:27, Ghazala said:

Reply written below

"Hold on..

Thank you for contacting Brigade Headquarters.

Your call is very important to us.

All our call handlers are busy at the moment.

Please try again later...

I was there in 2016, and bumped into the owner at the gate opposite the cemetery. He said it was OK if I had a quick look inside. Full of bluebells and concrete things. Strangely serene, considering what happened there 100 years previously.A72310E6-C5D9-4571-AFF5-64EF11228FF8.jpeg.4afc08ebdad41bb366f98b09ca8a0ff2.jpeg

5291089A-7AC5-4D40-BD62-12D77C273D59.jpeg.7da4687cbb1e63f5219940f04ac68c13.jpeg

We went there in 2002. We parked in the car park, but couldn't think of entering the wood. My wife felt the burden of death in the place was far too great, and I didn't feel entitled to dispute it. I won't speak for anybody else, but I feel there are some places that I won't go. The Holocaust sites are in that category too.

I remember reading somewhere that when the weather and thus the ground is particularly wet, one can smell the copper in the ground from all the shells burried there. 

Is that pure imagination?? 

I've never been to High wood but it's on the list for the next Somme visit... whenever COVID and classes permit. 

M.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...