Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Courts Martial Registers: G. O. A.

rolt968

I have noticed in the Courts Martial Registers that in a number of cases where one of the charges was desertion "G O A" has been entered in the right hand column. Does anyone know its significance?

(It is tempting (probably too tempting!) to interpret it as "Guilty Of Absence".)

RM

Quite possibly. "Absence without leave" was an alternative finding by the court in cases charged as desertion.

Ron

3 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

Quite possibly. "Absence without leave" was an alternative finding by the court in cases charged as desertion.

Ron

Thanks, Ron.

That is what I'd thought (or hoped). Perhaps an early military version of plea bargaining. I just thought that it was perhaps too simple an interpretation of the initials.

RM

3 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

Ron

Thanks, Ron.

That is what I'd thought (or hoped). Perhaps an early military version of plea bargaining. I just thought that it was perhaps too simple an interpretation of the initials.

RM

4 hours ago, rolt968 said:

Thanks, Ron.

RM

Rolt968

Does the Register give the sentence? Desertion would bring a heavier sentence than absence and for desertion to be proved the prosecution would have to provide evidence that the accused had no intention of returning. 

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 16:24, Terry_Reeves said:

Rolt968

Does the Register give the sentence? Desertion would bring a heavier sentence than absence and for desertion to be proved the prosecution would have to provide evidence that the accused had no intention of returning. 

TR

I will look up some examples and get back.

RM