Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

King's Book of York Heroes

niimmm

Hey guys,

I hope someone can help...

I'm doing some internet research into York casualties and I've come across a memorial book called the 'King's Book of York Heroes' in York Minster. From what I read it records names, photos and biographies of 1443 York men who died. I'd be really interested to see a list of all names included. How do I do this? Do you think a phone call to York minister is needed?

Simon

york-kings-book-02.jpg

17899131.jpg

There are a lot of websites with information. Have a look at this: https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/11023867.sons-of-york-remembered/. It seems that, naturally, they limit readers to preserve the book. I would ring up, find out who to apply to and how, then act accordingly. I suspect that you'd have to convince the Minster that you were a serious researcher with a particular requirement.

Good luck.

Acknown

Simon,

The book weighs over 9 stone.  There is also a repro. in the Minster Library at the Old Palace 'which anyone can come along and look through'.  (see above link)

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

Hey guys, 

Thank you for your replies and your ideas. 

I'm happy arranging a trip to York to have a look at the reproduction copy but first I need to know if it's worth it. What I don't want to do if get all the way up there and find that the casualties I'm working on are not included. 

I'll try a call to the minster and let you know how successful I've been. 

Simon 

I've now received a reply from York minster and they have sent me a complete list of names included in the King's book. That's exactly what I needed.

If anyone would like a copy of the list or a look up feel free to contact me.

Simon